Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
So here’s some background:

- 3 Devices
o iPhone 5S
o HP Envy laptop w/ Windows 8.1
o Microsoft Surface Pro w/ Windows 8.1

- I have an imap email account that is setup through the website that hosts our company website.
- Using Outlook 2013 via Office 365.
- Set up to sync all 3 devices via the cloud-based “OneDrive” (formerly “SkyDrive”).
- Outlook calendar and contacts are also sync’d via “OneDrive” and I don’t seem to be having any syncing
problems with those.

At present, all 3 devices seem to sync fine for “inbox” mail. I see incoming mail and when I read it on one device, the other two will show that it has been read and deleted mail is deleted on all 3 devices…usually within a few seconds, but occasionally longer.

It does not sync “deleted”, “drafts”, “sent items” or any of the other folders. Those emails are only kept on the device on which the task was performed. So if I am looking for an email I sent or deleted…I may have to check all 3 devices to find it…not cool! In addition, Outlook seems to create random folders like “Sent from all devices”, “sent”, “trash”, etc. There’s one that’s labeled “Sync Issues (This computer only)"...its a hot mess!
I've gotten to the point that if I want to save an email, I save it to a file in “OneDrive” (cumbersome)… but at least that way I can access across the 3 devices. Some of the folders showed up on their own. I’ve tried to delete a few, but they seem to pop back up. I read somewhere that if Outlook doesn’t know how to file an email, it will make up a folder. Having said that, most of these folders have nothing in them! This account has 4 “sent…” folders and I can’t figure out how it determines which folder sent emails are put in.

I’d really like to clean this up with the fewest number of folders possible and have all 3 devices able to “see” the same sent, deleted, and draft items. Is that possible? It sure seems like it should be. I suspect it has to do with where the folders are located and it seems that all but the “Inbox” resides in the local device. The “Inbox” seems to reside in “OneDrive”.

So you have 3 devices set up to sync to Outlook.com using Outlook 2013's EAS account type? Or are you using IMAP? The usual fix for sync issues is to remove the account and add it back, or make a new profile, but you'll lose anything not synced up.

Either account type will create a folder set for each account - so with 3 accounts, you'll have 3 sent folders, one inside each account's pst file.

Try adding a category to one item that hasn't synced up and see if that will trigger a sync.

What do the sync issues message say? They will indicate where the problem might be.

3 devices and I'm only trying to remedy 1 IMAP email account. I do not get any sync error messages...they just don't sync!
I tried a "fix" I found and that ended up duplicating some folders and I now have 8 folders under one "Inbox" that has the word "Sent" in the label. There are 26 total folders that have been auto-added.

Did the folders sync up to the server? Make sure any 'this computer only' folders are empty and then delete the data file and let outlook recreate it. If the folders didn't sync up (or if they did and you deleted them from the server) Outlook will recreate the data file without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Closing external IMAP email... Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
I How to display sender's name instead of email address in outlook 2013 message Using Outlook 5
B Forward every other email in Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook 2013 when clicking To in a new email show Company names Using Outlook 0
J Unable to link email messages in BCM using a single microsoft office 365 account in outlook 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V Outlook 2013 deleting email text when sent Using Outlook 11
A Exporting email in outlook 2013 with Office 365 Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2013 vs Outlook.com Email Address fields Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Mary B Outlook 2013: Rule for copying new email to folder & marking that copy as read Using Outlook 1
C outlook 2013-how do i send email to myself? Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear HomeTab Email filter "Greyed Out" in Outlook 2013 Exchange Server Administration 3
H Problems With Outlook 2013 VBA To Send and Print an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Searching Flagged Email Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2013 - Email Gets Sent - But Does Not Move From Outbox to Sent Box Using Outlook 4
P Copy email address from outlook 2013/2010 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2013 cannot send email error 0x700700c1 Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2013 email notifications Using Outlook 1
M Can't delete imap email from Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
T In Outlook 2013, must downloaded pictures in an email always be retained? Using Outlook 8
S Is it possible to backup Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Email & Calendar info? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
S Transferring POP emails from Outlook 2002 to Outlook.com email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
K Help Needed - setting up Email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
W Outlook 2013 - 2nd acct stopped receiving email after Win 8.1 upgrade Using Outlook 3
S [SOLVED] To make Outlook 2013 the default email system Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M Outlook 2013 folders - don't want to synchronize with email provider's server Using Outlook 15
S Outlook 2013. Adding office 365 email account causes 'The operation failed' Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2013 - address book showing FAX numbers - How to only show email? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2013 Doesn't Send email from Web Page Unless Outlook Is Open Using Outlook 2
K How to make email notification in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2013 - All rules simply delete the email Using Outlook 1
M How do you change the obnoxious color of the email headers on Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 2
P now on office 365 but getting error messages about missing Outlook 2013 cache folders Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2013 search no longer works Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2013 Calendar Archiving Using Outlook 0
T Compuserve, Yahoo, Oath2 and Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J Outlook 2013 Change color of text in data fields of contacts in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 10
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
D iCloud Add-in not working in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 After Windows Upgrade & iCloud Upgrade Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2013 "Item could not be moved - still an issue for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
M Creating an RSS Feed **FROM** Outlook 2013 Calendar. Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2013 Yahoo IMAP Sync problems Using Outlook 1
iwshim outlook 2013 - I cannot see the "Manage Add-ins" Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2013/Exchange 2013 - Conf Rooms not fully booking "resolved conflict" meetings Using Outlook 3
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
A Run time error 424. object required in outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
Rupert Dragwater Several questions regarding Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 9