Status
Not open for further replies.

njs27

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Hi all,
I've been coding at a basic/intermediate level with vba in Excel for a bit, but I'm trying to understand some things about the Outlook format and I'm getting confused.

I've been asked by my boss to make a group calendar, basically by taking all the appointments from everyone in the group's calendars (for which I have been given permission to view full details) and dumping them into an Excel sheet.

I've managed to pull all the pertinent information, with one exception on the recurrences. With my calendar, the .Start is that occurrence in the correct chronological order. With everyone else's calendars, the items show up in the correct chronological order, but the .Start date is always the same as the .PatternStartDate. For example, if there is a weekly recurring appt that began on Feb 1, 2013, for this month (July 2014), the olkApt.Start and the RP.PatternStartDate both say 2/1/13.... even though it shows up in the middle of the July 2014 appointments.

Is this something I can fix? Or perhaps there is something fundamental I am missing, being new to the outlook part of vba?

Thanks for any help you can provide... I appreciate it!!

I will include some of the code below

'Write appointments to spreadsheet
For Each olkApt In olkRes
'Only export appointments
If olkApt.Class = olAppointment Then
For Each olkRec In olkApt.Recipients
strLst = strLst & olkRec.Name & ", "
Next
If strLst <> "" Then strLst = Left(strLst, Len(strLst) - 2)
'Add a row for each field in the message you want to export
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 1) = olkApt.Subject
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 2) = Format(olkApt.Start, "mm/dd/yyyy")
'...
'etc
'...

If olkApt.IsRecurring = True Then
Set RP = olkApt.GetRecurrencePattern
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 10) = RP.RecurrenceType
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 12) = RP.DayOfWeekMask
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 14) = RP.Instance
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 15) = RP.Interval
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 16) = RP.PatternStartDate
excWks.Cells(lngRow, 17) = RP.PatternEndDate
'....

You need to loop through the occurrences by calling GetOccurrence. With the Outlook object model it's not very effective to do as you need to pass a certain date. That is you either need to calculate every date yourself based on the pattern, or call the function for every day between start and end, and handle the case that it doesn't return an occurrence. This can be quite time consuming if it's a huge range of time.

The RDORecurrencePattern of the Redemption (www.dimastr.com) allows to pass the index instead of the date. That is you can call GetOccurrence from 1 to Occurrences (which is the count of occurrences). This can be a lot faster.

And don't forget to loop through the exceptions as well. For instance, if the pattern start time is 10 am, and if this has been changed for a few appointments on, say, 11 am, these appointments are accessible only through the Exceptions collection.

Thanks, Michael. I will take a look at that.

I'm confused about why it shows up differently from my calendar vs other's calenders? Do you have any idea about that?

Let me try it this way. When I perform the macro on my calendar, I get something like this for the recurring appointments:
Subject StartDate EndDate PatternStartDate Pattern EndDate
Subject A 6/5/14 6/5/14 5/29/14 12/30/14
Subject B 6/6/14 6/6/14 1/1/14 12/31/4500
Subject C 6/10/14 6/10/14 2/15/13 2/15/14
Subject A 6/12/14 6/12/14 5/29/14 12/30/14
Subject A 6/19/14 6/19/14 5/29/14 12/30/14

Where when I run the same macro on my boss's calendar (for the same appointments), the output is this:
Subject StartDate EndDate PatternStartDate Pattern EndDate
Subject A 5/29/14 12/30/14 5/29/14 12/30/14
Subject B 1/1/14 12/31/4500 1/1/14 12/31/4500
Subject C 2/15/13 2/15/14 2/15/13 2/15/14

The only thing that made me realize it was that the non-recurring appointments were all in order. So, on my boss's calendar, the StartDate is showing up as the PatternStartDate rather than the StartDate for the occurrence of the appointment (which is what is showing up when I run it on my calendar). Does that make more sense?

The start date of the pattern and the one of each occurrence are not the same. The suggested solution works on both calendars, doesn't it?

Michael, I'm sorry, I was answering the other poster's question. Yes, the start date should be the same as the pattern start date for the first occurrence, but not the others.

I have not yet tried to implement because I just got to my work computer a few minutes ago. I will try sometime this morning and let you know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.