Outlook 2007 to 2013 PST still has the 07 size limit not bigger 13 limit

Russ Smith

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Have a user who couldn't receive new emails because Outlook kept saying his PST file was too big. he has 2013 and was nowhere near the 50gb limit. We finally realized he was upgraded from 2007 so the PST file was created in 2007 which has a much lower size limit. He has lots of attachments and over 5 years of email and just refuses to delete any of it.

What is the best practice way of handling this so the PST can be created with the higher size limit without losing any data? My boss wound up helping him and because he couldn't find an easier way online, he just created a new PST folder and then copied over folder by folder. it worked but I'm assuming there has to be a much easier way?

thanks,

Russ Smith

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That is the usual way - the only other way is to export the old mail to the new pst. Manually moving it is slower but gives the user more control if they only want to move some things.

How big was the old pst? The limits are 2 GB for the old ANSI format and 50GB+ for the new Unicode pst. Outlook 2007 could create either format.

Russ Smith

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
That is the usual way - the only other way is to export the old mail to the new pst. Manually moving it is slower but gives the user more control if they only want to move some things.

How big was the old pst? The limits are 2 GB for the old ANSI format and 50GB+ for the new Unicode pst. Outlook 2007 could create either format.
Thanks for the reply. That's the confusing thing he insists the old PST file was only 1.9, I don't know if that's true or not I never actually saw his computer or file he just showed up at my desk wanting a solution that didn't involve him having to delete anything or archive(he said he'd done before and the file went corrupt). I'm skeptical it was only that big because mine is half that size and I don't go back anywhere near 5 years and have no large attachements(drawings mostly) like he says he does. I guess what they did was create a new PST file end then move folders over and from your response sounds like that's the way to do it. Seems like there should be an option when someone upgrades to 2013 to choose to use the existing PST but increase the size limit to the 2013 limits but I guess it's not that simple to do or there would be such an option.

thanks again for the response.

Russ Smith

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If it was 1.9GB, it was an old ANSI pst, either kept as he upgraded over the years or created new in Outlook 2007 for one reason or another. I don't doubt him, because that is the point when outlook starts warning you that its too big.

Outlook 2013 was the first version that can't use the old pst format for delivery, but can open/read it, so he'd need to upgrade it at some point. The pst can't be "converted" to the larger size - there are some utilities that automate it by doing an export for you.