Revert AutoArchive settings via GPO (Run Autoarchive every...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschissler

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello Forum:
In our Office 2010 GPOs, we have Enable AutoArchive set to Disabled, and Disable File|Archive set to Disabled, thus allowing our users to manually archive, but turning off the AutoArchive feature in Outlook 2010. In AutoArchive settings, all settings are grayed out, thus preventing the user from turning on AutoArchive, which is acceptable for all users.

We have been asked to revert this for one group of users. They would like total control of this feature, meaning that the Run AutoArchive every ## days option needs to be "un-grayed" and able to be selected.
upload_2014-10-1_13-52-42.png

Easy enough - just change the AutoArchive setting to Enabled in their GPO to "un-do" the setting that we initially made, right? However, this does not work.

While it does allow us admins to enable AutoArchiving, and allows us to set all the settings, it grays out all the items for the end user. (i.e. They cannot check or uncheck Run AutoArchive every xx days.)
Our intention is to wipe this configuration clean, and give the AutoArchive control back to the end user.
Could it be that our decision to disable AutoArchive via GPO is no longer letting us give this control back?
What are we missing?

Thanks for your time!

Hi Diane, thanks for the reply! Unfortunately yes, we did try "Not Configured". It had the same results.
Upon logging in as the user, the AutoArchive options were still all grayed ont. :/

Look at the key in the registry on one of the affected machines. Was it removed by the GPO? If not, delete it and restart outlook - if it works, use a logon script to delete the values.

Hi again Diane - your suggestion, and another unrelated post regarding GPO behavior sparked something. :)
Since the GPO was a user-based one, I checked the active HKCU hive for the settings. It was the DoAging reg setting, along with a few others that were present, and by their mere presence in the registry, they were controlling the behavior of the AutoArchive settings. I needed to delete these registry settings by adding another GPO linked to a subordinate OU, which deleted these registry keys for the specific group of users requesting AutoArchive control. I was then able to check/uncheck the Run AutoArchive every xx days checkbox, and select other configuration options.
From what I have observed, the GPO put these reg settings in, effectively "tatooing" this configuration for the user. Simply flipping the bits to either "1" or "0" did not reverse the changes that the GPO made.
SOLVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Victor_50 Set all subfolders to not autoarchive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
P AutoArchive exchange folder to exchange folder Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Using Outlook's AutoArchive Feature Using Outlook 0
E Moving autoarchive settings to new computer (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 1
B AutoArchive Nuances Using Outlook 1
K Autoarchive when contradicting company policy Using Outlook 3
E AutoArchive in 2010 not working Using Outlook 2
R Get AutoArchive settings (as set from Tools|Options|Other|AutoArch Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Update AutoArchive Settings on Multiple PST Files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Can't change autoarchive property in Deleted Items folder BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
M Use Macro to change account settings Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Roadrunner Email Settings | Contact Roadrunner Customer Support Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
L Recommendations for Utility to Backup Outlook 365 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
M Outlook settings will not accept a password Using Outlook 9
A Change settings Send/receive VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Anyone tell me where custom view settings are stored? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 2
David Langer Store my Outlook settings in the cloud - Broken Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2016 Free/Busy settings ignored Using Outlook 0
P OWA Settings->Calendar->Events from Email; Setting changes do not hold Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
O How to apply view settings on all accounts and folders Using Outlook 7
D.Moore Folder view settings by VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 57
JohnViuf Export task list view settings to other pc Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
T Migrating Profile/Account Settings To New PC for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
O Backup Office settings - registry key Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2016 - Tasks View Settings Missing Using Outlook 1
S Views ans Where Settings AreSavd Using Outlook 4
J Control Panel Mail (settings) icon missing Using Outlook 2
GregS "Your <mail provider> settings are out of date" Using Outlook 0
R Outlook 2010 - Reading Pane and To Do Bar Settings Not Saved on Exit Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 2003 can't send, but settings seem OK Using Outlook 1
Commander1 Task Recurrence Settings Using Outlook 3
M Change default "automatically test account settings when Next is clicked" Using Outlook 1
F Missing "More Settings" in Outlook 2007 Professional Using Outlook 8
A Help creating macro for conditional formatting settings Using Outlook 8
L changing view settings based on message body Using Outlook 1
B Email address not showing up in account settings Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2007 Save Current View,Font,Toolbar Settings Using Outlook 6
T save custom user settings/ views BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Oulook view settings ( NO PST) Using Outlook 0
wallisellener BCM - restore default settings BCM (Business Contact Manager) 36
T Settings question Using Outlook 6
O Outlook 2013 not holding bottom navigation settings Using Outlook 10
H PRF with OverwriteProfile=Append Is overwriting other settings Using Outlook 2
I Reconfigure standard Outlook settings on all machines Using Outlook 0
E "Current View" settings across multiple users on same Exchange 2007 account. Using Outlook 1