Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Hi Diane Back again,
Our charity currently sync an Outlook Calendar 2010 with Google Calendar that's published as a shared Public calendar on the website .
This works really well except we cannot use the free text Notes field in the default New Meeting/Event form as any text entered in it shows through on the website. There is an option in Google Calendar to tick which only shows Busy time but then the event title e.g. Scouts, Mother and Toddlers etc not displayed only "Busy".

I have therefore considered creating a custom form for adding additional information. I have read lots of websites including your posts on this and other forums and understand how to create a form but have some initial questions before embarking on the process.

1) I know you cannot modify the first page of the Calendar/Meeting form which probably means creating a second page. How will this display in Outlook? Will it display in a similar way to the developer view as a second tab allowing you to switch between pages?

2) If this works can I make the new form the default when creting a new event? (I would also want to backup the original form in case the SyncMyCal software stops working with the new form).

3) If possible I intend creating fields or check boxes like name, telephone number, email address, cheque received, deposit received, key loaned and a free text field for other notes. Will these new fields be searchable by Windows desktop search?

Many thanks in advance as always
Fozzie

1. You'll have a second page - in outlook 2010 and 2013, you click a button on the ribbon, not a tab, to switch pages. An example of this is the Details button on a contact.

2. Yes, it can be set as default. The original form won't need backed up - this will be an additional form.

3. I forget if they will be searchable. :) FWIW, desktop search won't work with Windows 8 or Outlook 2013.

The custom field might not sync to the server or down to other users - it would be on your computer only. Test it and see.

Many thanks for the info Diane, Your last Paragraph is exactly what we want for the extra page as long as the default appointment fields are synchronised but we will have to test that.
A little more help if I may ;) !!!

I have successfully created the custom appointments form on another instance of Outlook 2010 ( in case I screwed up the settings in the existing syncing calendar). I have saved it as a template (.oft file?) and transferred it to the other installation of Outlook 2010. I can import it and open it but it doesn't appear in the menu as it is still sitting in the local filing system and has not transferred location to the Personal Templates folder. I seem to be missing the last step.
  • In the first instance how do I save it so it appears on the New Items menu?
  • Once we are happy with it how then do I make it the default form?
  • I have managed to rename the tab from the default P:2 but is there a way to change the ribbon Icon to something more meaningful than a folder?
  • Finally do you know if the WinCalendar "app" you list on your page about Calendar printing will pull data from the fields in a Custom Form? or are there any other tools to export data into Excel (Except the copy and paste from list view)?
Many thanks as always
Fozzie

OK answered some of the above with some more web searching. I have found how to make the form a default and change the icon for the page but not how it displays in the toolbar when published. Is this hard coded into the application or is it possible to change the ribbon icon from a folder to something more meaningful.
I am so close with this now as the main details sync with Google calendar but the "Private" stuff on the second page don't. This is a huge leap forward and will let the booking officer dispose of the paper diary supporting Outlook Calendar :)
Fozzie

Changing the ribbon icon is limited to a selection of icons MS provides. It is possible to use your own, but it's not a simple matter to do it. You'll need to build a new group and add the New commands in order to change the icons.

Finally do you know if the WinCalendar "app" you list on your page about Calendar printing will pull data from the fields in a Custom Form? or are there any other tools to export data into Excel (Except the copy and paste from list view)?

I don't know if WinCalender can handle custom fields. If you need it in list form, you can use a macro for a one step export custom fields. If you want a calendar format, I'd take a look at WinCalendar - if it doesn't do custom fields, they might be able to add it.

Oh, thank goodness someone else asked this question, as I wasn't sure how to put it in words. Thank you, Fozzie & Ms. Poremsky!

MAllen

Status
Not open for further replies.