Item cannot be saved because it was modified by another user or window

Status
Not open for further replies.

parryjm

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I create an Outlook 2013 message and save it in my Draft folder. When I go back and edit the message in the Draft folder a few minutes later and save the message , I get the error message "The item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window. Do you want to make a copy in the default folder for this item?" If I respond "No", the changes are not saved and the message remains open. If I respond "Yes", then the revised message gets saved to my "Inbox" folder. The message in the Draft folder is not updated.

This happen quite regularly.

I also have been getting a similar message "Cannot move the item. The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed". I understand if I click on a different message and then go back and try and move the message , it will allow me to move the message. Don't know if these error messages are caused by the same situation.

Anyone know what might be causing this first message?

Was running v15.0.4641.1003. I checked for updates and apparently the were updates, so I had them installed. Now running v15.0.4659.1001. Still having the issue.

I looked at the description for the 3 Office Update I was missing and did not see anything that addresses this issue. If a fix was applied with an earlier update, then apparently it didn't work. Is there a way to find out if a fix is in the works?

My Office 2013 is configured to automatically download and install updates. Since this problem has been happening for awhile, I was surprise that these latest updates were not automatically applied. I see there is a problem with the Click-to-Run Updates. I will follow the instructions to see if it resolve this issue.

Last month I upgraded from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2013. I often edit messages, and have been extremely annoyed to get this error message and have to save a COPY of a message with the edits. This is not an efficient way to work!

I have stumbled on a workaround, I think: Edit the message, then do Control-S to save it, then click the "X" button to close it. The error message does not appear, and the changes to the message are there. Yay!

Did anyone ever solve this? It's been over a year since the last post, but even with all the latest updates this happens to me constantly...

I still experience these issues with the latest version of Office (15.0.4797.1003). Still waiting for this to get addressed.

My work around for the "Edit & Send" issue is as follows...
  1. Update the body of the message with any changes.
  2. Select and copy the entire content in the updated message.
  3. Exit the message without saving.
  4. Open the message again, select all content and delete.
  5. Paste the content from the clipboard back into the body of the message.
  6. Send the message.
My work around for the "Moving" issue is as follows...
  1. Highlight a different message in the Inbox
  2. Go back and highlight the original message and now you are able to move it to another folder.

My work around for the "Moving" issue is as follows...
  1. Highlight a different message in the Inbox
  2. Go back and highlight the original message and now you are able to move it to another folder.
Yes, I've had that problem and that was my solution, which I stumbled upon by trial and error. I thought it was related to the EAS (server) problem, as I have only outlook.com and hotmail.com accounts in my current profile (no PST files with POP3 accounts).
I haven't noticed the other Edit and Send problem, but I like to Copy some received emails to more than one folder location in Outlook 2013, which the EAS (server) for 2013 won't allow.
I'll be really glad when the "Office 365" server upgrade finally gets to my accounts.

Selecting another message allows the changes to sync to the server (or more accurately, allows outlook to see that the changes synced).

Similar steps should work for drafts too but it's been awhile since i tested that bug.

Frustrating. Yeah, those are pretty much the (cumbersome and unnecessary) workarounds I use too: i.e. always copy the message content before trying to save, etc. Shocking there's still no proper solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.