Outlook 2010 Create task with email URL instead of attachment

schwarznavy

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I use Quick Steps to Create a task with attachment.

Is there a way to use VBA to instead Create a task with URL to original email? I read a little bit and it seems like there is an EntryID for each unique item in Outlook. Would this EntryID remain the same even if I moved the email after first retrieving the URL?

Bonus question: Once I "complete" the task I would like for the email to automatically be moved to a different folder. Is this possible in either situation described above (if the task was created with attachment or if the task was created with URL)?

Thank you very much.

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
You cannot be sure that an EntryID remains the same. As you cannot add a VBA script to a Quick Step, you' have to write all the logic yourself.

schwarznavy

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thank you for replying (to both my questions). When is it possible for an EntryID to change? If I move an e-mail to a folder, would the e-mails EntryID always remain the same? What if I rename the folder? What if I move the folder?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some code that is at least part of the way toward pulling out a URL with the EntryID of an item and then making a task with that link in it?

Thank you.

schwarznavy

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Well, I've abandoned this idea. My idea at first was to have a macro that would take an incoming e-mail with some kind of required action, create a task from that email, and include a link to the original email. That way when I am about to mark the task complete I could click the link to the email, archive the email, and then mark the task complete.
I've decided a quicker flow would be to flag the message, and then rename the task as appropriate. That way I can mark it complete and archive the email all from one Entry....the original flagged message. It'll save me a step.
Now I would like to figure out how to make a macro that will flag a message (and prompt for due date), and then prompt to rename the task. Normally I'd rename the task (a flagged message) by right-clicking on it and choosing "rename task."

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Here's an extensive example for how to flag emails with a reminder. The dt variable holds the date, the tm variable holds the time. Instead of using the default values, use the Inputbox function to enter any dates and times.

The TaskSubject property of the email holds the subject of its associated task item.