Outlook 2010 Using custom field data in mail body + mailto hyperlink

VincentM

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
I am breaking my head about this already for some time. I have a custom form for eventually creating an email with a mailto hyperlink inside the body.

In the custom form I define a.o. [product], [subject] and the [receivers] for the mailto hyperlink.
All the information is correctly computed corresponding fields.

1) How can I now make sure the [product] is going to be incorporated in the text of the mail:
e.g. bla bla bla [product] bla bla bla ?

2) How can I add the reply hyperlink, using the [subject] and [receiver] information from the custom fields.

The mails are send outside our company, but we want to force the suggested reply format by giving the mailto hyperlink. I would really appreciate any suggestions!

VincentM

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Dear Diane and thanks for the quick respons,

I hoped to do everything in the one form; fill in the custom fields and send...
I guess, however this might be a work around for question 1, but how do I do this for question two, where I have to add the field values into a mailto hyperlink?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
In that case, you should be able to use a formula to the fields together - create a new formula field and enter the url and the custom fields. The field won't be clickable though. To make a mailto link, you need to use HTML code to construct it.

VincentM

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Hi Diana,
After some time finding bits and pieces, I have come quite far:

-----------
Sub StampDate()
Dim objOL As Outlook.Application
Dim objNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim objItem As Object
Dim strStamp As String
On Error Resume Next
Set objOL = Application
Set objItem = objOL.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
If Not objItem Is Nothing Then
If objItem.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML Then
Set objNS = objOL.Session

strStyle = "'font-family:" & Chr(34) & "Calibri" & Chr(34) & ";color:black'"
strTextEng = "<p>" & "<span style=" & strStyle & ">" & "Please find attached the new order" & "<p>"

strLink = "<p>" & "<span style=" & strStyle & ">" & "<b><a href=" & Chr(34) & "mailto:someone@example.com?Subject=Confirmation" & Chr(34) & "target=" & Chr(34) & "_top" & Chr(34) & ">Hyperlink" & "</span></p></a></b>"

Set olkMsg = Outlook.Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem

objItem.HTMLBody = Replace(objItem.HTMLBody, "</body>", _
olkMsg.subject & strTextEng & strLink & "</body>", _
, , vbTextCompare)
End If
End If
Set objOL = Nothing
Set objNS = Nothing
Set objItem = Nothing

End Sub
---------

Al is working well and basically results is a the body of the mail including: 1) the subject line (olkMsg.subject), 2) a cutom text (strTextEng) + 3) the hyperlink (strLink).

I my custom form I have more fields which I can fill in, however in no way I am able to incorporate them in the body.
As with olkMsg.subject, I am able to use the value in To (olkMsg.to) / CC (olkMsg.cc) and BCC (olkMsg.bcc), but not any of my user identified fields e.g. PO number (e.g. olkMsg.TextBox1) or any else.

What am I missing??? Hope you can help me how to call on these custom fields.

PS Also I have been able to use the one of the fields to show correctly in the hyperlink, solving the custom hyperlink question, if I am able to use other user identified fields.

Hope you could help me.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Refer to custom fields as userproperties.
objItem.UserProperties("customfield")

Also, i see this:
Set olkMsg = Outlook.Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem

but you are referring to the fields as objItem:

actually, you set the current item twice.

VincentM

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Hi Diane,

Can you help me a bit further, I have adjusted as follows to add value of Textbox31 in the body as well, however now the macro is not working:

objItem.UserProperties("TextBox31") & olkMsg.subject & strTextEng & strLink & strTextCh & strTextCh2 & "</body>", _
, , vbTextCompare)

Also, It seems I need Set olkMsg = Outlook.Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem, as it will not show olkMsg.subject when I delete it.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
objItem and olkMsg are the same message... what you need to do is change the olkmsg to objitem

objItem.UserProperties("TextBox31") & olkMsg.subject & strTextEng & strLink & strTextCh & strTextCh2 & "</body>", _