Outlook 2010 calendar hangs

Irina Raidman

New Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Every time outlook calendar meetings are opened (especially the address book) outlook just hangs and the wheel starts spinning and then an error pops out Outlook is trying to retrieve data from Microsoft Exchange server server name.domain." and then finally after that get the "Operation failed" message. It takes a few tries of this and then finally after 5 or so minutes of this a meeting can successfully be scheduled. The thing is, this is a common issue for everyone user that has a mailbox on this exchange server - this happens to every body every time. This exchange 2010 server serves the CAS, Hub and Mailbox server roles and is located in a data center and connect to the physical site via VPN.
there is another server that is located onsite. This server has the other half of the company's users, also serving as a CAS, Hub and Mailbox server - all the users on this server work perfectly...
I have the configurations are the same between them, and i have checked, changed and compared everything possible but cant find where the problem is.
 

Neil Barker

New Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Sounds like a network latency issue to me, the clue would be that the users connected to the onsite server have no issues. I would try moving a user with the problem from the remote server to the local server and then seeing if you get the same issue.
 

Irina Raidman

New Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks for your reply Neil. All the recipients on the remote server were originally located on the local server - and they worked as well as the local mailboxes work now.I am pretty sure that moving the remote mailboxes locally or even moving the remote server locally would improve the issue - but i want to keep that server off site. I don't think its a 100 percent network issue though. When the calender is hanging i monitored both sides of the FW and the request had long gone through. I also created a VM at the remote location and tested mailboxes from both servers there. And both the local and the remote worked there perfectly. From what i am seeing it looks like a problem with outlook anywhere or EWS.
I have setup fiddler and when the calendar starts acting up i see a bunch of 401's (unauthorized requests) on the https mail.domain.com /EWS/exchange.asmx.
I tired changing athentication methods, but nothing helped.
The only thing that made a difference was changing the autodiscover local URL from https://'netbiosname'/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml to https://mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml.
That made a big improvement for a while, even the 401 errors disappeared from the EWS. But then everything just went back to be as bad as it was.
 

Similar threads

Top