Outlook 2010 hangs during message send/receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Outlook 2010 (with latest updates) hangs while getting new messages or attempting to delete messages (with auto-send/rcv turned off). Here's what I've tried so far (with no success):

• chkdsk /f - no errors found - retried Outlook - same failure
  • MBAM (MalwareBytes) - no malware found - fail
  • scanpst (only minor inconsistencies found and fixed) - fail
  • outlook /safe - fail
  • repair Office 2010
    • reverts to original RTM - never prompts for updates (tried manually running Windows Update, but no updates found) ??!!
  • copy outlook.pst file to other computer
    • Outlook 2013 hung on the other computer, but eventually an error message appears stating that the PST is in the old 97-2002 PST format and has reached max size (2gb)
    • imported the problem PST into a new PST file - now able to manage folders and delete items from any folder
  • copy new PST file back to the original problem computer and open Outlook - fail
  • create new profile and use this PST file - fail

Forum Admin

Outlook 2013 hung on the other computer, but eventually an error message appears stating that the PST is in the old 97-2002 PST format and has reached max size (2gb)
That means the old pst is the the old ANSI format and it's reached it's maximum file size.

So the new pst errors in Outlook 2010? The problem, or at least part of the problem, is the large pst file. The best fix is using the new unicode pst format, which doesn't have a file size limit.

Often when there are problems with send and receive, it's the SRS file. It holds send and receive settings and can safely be deleted. Outlook will recreate it using default settings. Type or paste %appdata%\microsoft\outlook in the address bar of windows explorer and press enter - the SRS file is there.

danno

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
As it turns out, I had copied the wrong file back to his computer - copied the correct file back
  • able to now delete and move items without hanging
  • send/receive fails with 'unable to open outlook.pst file - does not exist'
  • attempted SRS file delete fix as you had mentioned above - same problem
  • checked email acct settings - not set to download to any PST file
  • had to choose 'change folder', 'new email delivery location', and 'new outlook data file' and point to restored outlook.pst file - now send/receive works
I still have the other problem I had mentioned in my initial post - I'm unable to update Office 2010 after performing the repair option (which reverted everything to RTM ver 14.0.4734.1000). Windows update fails to find any updates.
  • tried manually downloading and running SP2
    • Initial attempt to install update results in immediate error 'the expected version of the product was not found on the system' (prior to file extraction)
    • attempted to use /extract:<path> option, but I don't know which .msp file to run, but tried the ones called 'officesuite*.exe', but all of those resulted in very long error message which essentially matched the previous error message
    • attempted to use PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1 parameter from command prompt, but that resulted in files getting extracted to some unknown location, the 'installation is complete' message occurs immediately after file extraction, and as expected, nothing was done. Version # remains RTM as before.
My guess is that somewhere buried in the bowels of the registry is stored some version string other than the 14.0.4734.1000 version that is displayed in any Office 2010 program when clicking on File tab/Help. As I stated before, using the repair install option to fix the original problem seems to have caused this problem by reverting everything back to RTM, but failing to update some version string somewhere, causing updates to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.