Saving sent email to specific folder based on category with wildcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bifjamod

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am currently using Apple Mail, but getting ready to transition back to OL2013 after about 7 months. There are simply too many quirks, bugs and inefficiencies with Apple Mail to continue using it. That said, there's a few things that are also good about Apple Mail. One of those is their rules handling, which allows more creativity.

For my instant case, I tag many of my outbound emails with a 5 digit file number (this will use the category field in OL via Standss's EmailTags). With Apple Mail, I have a rule that states that any email with a keyword (Apple's version of "category" for this purpose) that starts with the number 2 gets moved to "Files" after being sent. This is significantly different from OL, which only gives the option that the category contains or matches.

Because I do not want all emails which contain the number 2 in the category to be so filed, only the ones that start with, I need a better way of processing this in OL. (It's only been 7 months, but I really don't remember how I dealt with this previously in OL - I must have manually selected the "save sent email to" folder for each one...how tedious!!)

I've looked at the various rules manager plugins on the market, but none seem to address the possibility of adding additional rules qualifiers such as "starts with" or using wildcards (i.e. "category matches 2****). Thus, the likely solution I am seeking is probably VBA based.

I have extensive experience with VBA in Excel, but only once in Outlook, and that being years ago. So, I am looking for any OL VBA aficionados who can (a) understand what it is that I am after and (b) give me some ideas and guidance on accomplishing this.

Also, to be clear, I will be using OL2013 on Win7, not the version for Mac (I am running Windows on a virtual machine on my Mac.)

Thank you all, and Merry Christmas!

If the folders are in the default store, it's pretty simple. See the ItemSend event, which is explained in the VBA help file. It triggers when you hit the Send button. In that event check the item's Categories property. First I'd ignore that an item could have more than one category assigned.
Code:
select case left$(item.categories,1)
case "1": 'maybe do something
case "2": 'here set the SaveSentMessageFolder property
end select
The SaveSentMessageFolder prperty is also explained in the help file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Outlook 2016 Outlook not saving Sent Items Using Outlook 4
N Saving .msg as sent item on send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T From Field Blank when saving to folder other than Sent items Using Outlook 2
S Not saving attachments in the Sent Folder Using Outlook 2
S trouble with Outlook 2010 saving sent emails Using Outlook 2
M Saving an attachment - outbox and sent mail conflicts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
Rupert Dragwater Background colors not saving in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 15
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
CWM550 Saving Data: Don't check certain folders Using Outlook 2
M Saving emails using Visual Basic - Selecting folder with msoFileDialogFolderPicker Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
I Saving attachments from multiple emails and updating file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Adding Subject to this Link-Saving VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Attachment saving and tracking - PLEASE help! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D Saving Selected Emails as PDF and saving Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
B Saving items under a folder Using Outlook 3
R Quick Access view in File Explorer when saving attachments Using Outlook 0
N Saving And Deleting Outlook Attachments with Unknown Error Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Saving attachment from outlook in My Documents Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
M Dialog called up multiple times when saving emails from macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A saving attachement to folder named the same as rule name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Saving all email to file folder in Windows Using Outlook 2
J Saving attachments from specific sender (phone number) to specific folder on hard drive Using Outlook 3
C Saving Outlook attachments and links to attachments with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Kevin H Remotely saving emails Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Modify Style "Do not check spelling or grammar" not saving Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Outlook Office 365 not saving addresses Using Outlook 0
A Keep color categories when saving vCards Using Outlook 1
P Saving All Messages to the Hard Drive Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
S Editing an email with notes and saving it for record using Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O Saving Attachments to folder on disk and adding Initials to end of file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
J Outlook 2013 crashes saving VBA & clicking tools | digital signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
erichamion Changes to meeting body not properly saving Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A ItemAdd on Imap Folder get endless loop after saving item Using Outlook 5
T Saving Outlook 2010 email with attachments but read the email without Outlook Using Outlook 2
L Outlook DST (Daylight Saving Time) problem Using Outlook 0
F Using Outlook 2007 as an IMAP Mail Station Without Saving Data Locally Using Outlook 2
E Saving Changes To Edited E-Mail Received Message Using Outlook 0
D File Lock issue when saving message from Outlook to new folder Using Outlook 1
D Remove extension while saving attachments Using Outlook 1
K Printing & Saving Outlook Contacts Using Outlook 3
D Saving outlook emails in html and attachments Using Outlook 4
W Default Saving a message as text Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 QAT buttons not saving Using Outlook 2
C Exchange 2003 - Outlook 2003 - Calendar entries saving over each other Using Outlook 2
J Saving Published Outlook Form as msg Using Outlook 1
J Saving recent colors used for fonts in an email? Using Outlook 1
B How to choose which contacts folder to use when saving contacts? Using Outlook 1
J Saving Incoming & Outgoing Outlook 2010 Email Locally with IMAP Using Outlook 2