Outlook 2007: Problem with "Move to Folder >" button on toolbar

ExDC

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Using Outlook 2007 on new computer with Win 7. I moved my old .PST file successfully from Win XP machine, but only after having had Outlook on new computer create a new .PST, and THEN moving the old one over, and THEN making the moved one the default and deleting the one Outlook created.

PROBLEM: I have always had a "Move to Folder>" button on my toolbar, and it's there in my new set-up. This is the one that shows the last 10 folders used as destinations - quite a time saver. Now however, those destination folders listed are apparently "stuck" on the original .PST location. If I try to move an email just by clicking on one of them, I get a "Folder not available" message. I can manually move the email, either by dragging and dropping to folder in Navigation bar, or by using right-click. The destination list stays unchanged.

How can I "wipe" that list? I'm pretty sure it's trying to find the folders using the location I used for the PST in WinXP, which of course is not the same as in Win7. I have deleted the button, restarted, added the button again without success. Is there a registry area I can edit? Something else? Thanks.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You are correct – if the list was created on the old computer, it’s looking for the folder in the old path (outlook tracks not Only the pst and folder name, but also the pst location) and they won’t work. They should be replaced as you use new folders though.
To clear the list, you need to edit the registry - http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/clearing-outlooks-most-recently-used-mru-lists/ has the key for this and other MRUs.

ExDC

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Thank you! I knew it would be somewhere on this site.

ExDC

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
But now I have another problem...I may have edited the registry too hard, because now, the old list is gone, but it won't regenerate a new one! (This, after the usual troubleshooting - close everything, reboot, restart Outlook, try again) When the instructions say to delete the value "101f031e" for the Move to Folder history, I deleted that value entirely - should I have simply deleted the contents of the value, leaving it essentially with blank information as a "stub" to repopulate? or is there something else wrong?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Deleting the entire value should have worked - outlook will regenerate it when it's needed. Because it seems to have moved with the pst file, I'd probably run scanpst on the pst.

ExDC

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Deleting the entire value should have worked - outlook will regenerate it when it's needed. Because it seems to have moved with the pst file, I'd probably run scanpst on the pst.
This is still driving me crazy! I ran scanpst and while it said it found errors and made corrections (is there a log I can check somewhere?) -- the behavior continues...no list of recently used folders.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Have you tried a repair install? Do this from control panel, program and features.