recover contact category assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

astro46

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I don't know what happened: I had a category list open, saw a contact that no longer belonged in that category, highlighted the contact, right clicked and clicked on that category. Outlook then proceeded to remove that category assignment from everyone in the category. Category then had no one in it.

Is there a way to recover the assignments? Short of going through the entire contact list manually.

There isn't an undo option - sorry. I'm guessing (assuming it's not an outlook.com contact folder) that the contacts were all selected when you right clicked - and selecting the category that was already assigned to contacts toggled the category off.

Diane, thanks for the quick reply. that is the answer I was expecting, while still hoping that there was a way back.

Oh well,
Jeffrey

You can try using a list view (like Phone list) and adding the last modified date to the view then sort by it - if the ones you changed have the same modified date, select them all and right click and reselect the category. It works for Exchange accounts but I'm not sure if it works for pop accounts - if it does, it makes adding the categories back much easier.

damn spell check lol. that was modified, not midwifed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
C Recover calendar Using Outlook 0
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
semnaitik Is it possible to recover content from a 0KB PST file? Using Outlook 3
M How many days are items in Recover Deleted at Outlook.com ? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
R Recover Deleted Appointment in Calendar Using Outlook 0
L 3rd party tools to recover deleted Office 365 contacts etc Using Outlook 7
E How to find or recover Lost e-mails within a folder under Inbox? Using Outlook 2
P Recover / Extract Rules from standalone PST file creating RWZ file Using Outlook 2
S recover a deleted folder in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B How to recover deleted MS Outlook OST file? Using Outlook 4
fitzgerald Lost PST files after format - how to recover deleted files? Using Outlook 3
S Is it possible to recover a permanently deleted email from my .OST file? Using Outlook 0
H How-To recover email from Computer Crash Using Outlook 2
N Control ID for Outlook 2013 “Recover Deleted Items From Server” Using Outlook 0
D Recover deleted Outlook 2007 e-mail account Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Recover deleted messages from .pst files Using Outlook 0
K Recover/preserve space in database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
V Recover exchange 2010 edb Exchange Server Administration 2
Danie Lawson Trying to recover calendar Using Outlook 4
M recover deleted items vba macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook 2013: How did "Inbox" emails jump straight to the "Recover Deleted Items" Folder? Using Outlook 2
S Recover Autocomplete After Computer Failure Re-install Using Outlook 3
N Deleted my email account - how to recover it Using Outlook 1
R Recover/export rules from a backup .PST Using Outlook 2
E The RECOVER DELETED ITEMS is grayed out and i can't recover my messages Using Outlook 1
M How do I Repair OST File from corruption and Recover OST data? Using Outlook 3
R How do I recover emails removed by Outlook because of IMAP? Using Outlook 1
S Recover messages that disappeared when copying to folder Using Outlook 1
L Recover Deleted Items Folder shows email which are not really deleted. Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2007 - Recover Deleted Items - Columns to Choose from Using Outlook 1
B Can I recover info from size limited IMAP file (Outlook 2003) Using Outlook 3
M Recover moved mail to task folder Using Outlook 1
T Cannot recover archived Calendar items Using Outlook 1
R How to recover old hotmail messages from an .ost file Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
C Outlook/Exchange 2010 Recover Deleted Items to original folder Using Outlook 2
Q How to recover emails that are lost due to accidental removal of an email account Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2010 Changed "Recover Deleted Items" Behavior Using Outlook 11
L How do you Recover from An Outlook 2007 & BCM Crash BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G Outlook 2021 Add Picture to Custom Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
AndyZ Contact Custom Form Tiny Text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A How to reduce size of custom contact form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Custom Contact card - need help creating one Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U Outlook 2021 not showing contact cards in Searches Using Outlook 1
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker How to get the button Karte ( map) in custom contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Adding a contact to a specific folder Using Outlook 0
B Linking contact to an Appointment Using Outlook 1
Witzker Outlook 2019 How to get a Photo in a User Defined Contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to send an Email Template from User Defined Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0