Unable to add email address to contact

David Wall

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
If I create a totally new contact, all works well but if I create a new contact whose email address had already been in either Outlook or some other program, when I start to type the address in the "new contact" process, I am prompted with the name of the contact and the correct email address. After entering it, all that shows in the email address box is the name and emails sent from that contact go nowhere. I have even tried creating a new contact with a phony name but when I type the correct email address it all starts again.
Must be some way to get around this.
DW

David Wall

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
This iswith outlook 2007? It sounds like the annoying behavior is 2013. Assuming it's the autocomplete cache entry, can you delete the address when it's offered?
Yes Outlook 2007. I have tried numerous times to purge the email address by deleting the contact and creating a new one but when I start to type in the internet address it prompts me with several choices, one of which is the name AND address that I had deleted. Have tried creating a new contact with a completely different name but as soon as I type in the email address, it "finds" the old one. But it just displays the contact name, not the address, and will not send an email from that name. I was able to send an email to the address by not using the address book but now I cannot even do that - when I start to type in the TO box, up pops the name but no email address so I cannot send to that address at all.
I did find two contact lists but I'm reluctant to start deleting for fear that I might lose all my contacts. Next step is to probably do something along those lines unless there is a simpler fix.
DW

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'll try and repo - i don't remember behavior like that from 2007 but it's been awhile since i used it regularly.