can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, no. There is a way for admins to create ost files for Exchange accounts and send them to users but it won't work for IMAP/Outlook.com account types and you will need to connect to the server to use it. The instructions are at http://blogs.technet.com/b/outlooking/archive/2015/05/22/outlook-initial-ost-deployment.aspx

If you use imap or outlook.com ost files, outlook will resync the contents if you try to reuse the ost.

Dear Diane,
Thanks a lot. The situation is as follows: in my old PC I have Exchange Outlook 2007. (The .pst is in the server and in the PC itself I have only the .ost.) . I can not reach the server and the .pst file. I have Outlook 2010 on the new PC . I thought there is a vay to transfer the data (the messages including the folders structure) without getting to the srver. Could it be done ?

So the old computer isn't usable? if you could open outlook 2007, you could export to a pst. Otherwise, try the steps at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/872930#bookmark-8 using the ost copied from the old computer then export it. if that doesn't work, you would need to use recovery software. I have links to recovery software at http://www.slipstick.com/problems/p...ange-offline-file-ost-to-a-personal-file-pst/.

BTW, one possible option if the hard drive is good but the motherboard is bad is to put the old drive in the new computer. If the old computer is really old, it probably doesn't have the same drive type as the new computer though. I don't know if you could clone the old drive (connect it to the new computer using a usb connector) to make a virtual drive to open in hyper v or VMware then export. (I know you can clone drives, but i'm not sure if they need to be the active drive. )

So the old computer isn't usable? if you could open outlook 2007, you could export to a pst. Otherwise, try the steps at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/872930#bookmark-8 using the ost copied from the old computer then export it. if that doesn't work, you would need to use recovery software. I have links to recovery software at http://www.slipstick.com/problems/p...ange-offline-file-ost-to-a-personal-file-pst/.

BTW, one possible option if the hard drive is good but the motherboard is bad is to put the old drive in the new computer. If the old computer is really old, it probably doesn't have the same drive type as the new computer though. I don't know if you could clone the old drive (connect it to the new computer using a usb connector) to make a virtual drive to open in hyper v or VMware then export. (I know you can clone drives, but i'm not sure if they need to be the active drive. )

Dear Diane,
Nothing wrong with my old PC with outlook 2007. The only problem is that the server is not reachable and I can not get the .pst file. That's why I wanted to use the .ost file (which I have on my old PC ) instead . What are the steps to export the outlook 2007 .ost file to a .pst ?

That will definitely be easier if the account is still in outlook. Open outlook - it should drop to offline if not already offline - the go to file, export, export to a file, choose pst as the file type. Select the data file and complete the export. Copy that pst to the other computer. If the ost account is no gone for good, you can open the pst in outlook and remove the account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Outlook 2013 - transfer autocomplete data Using Outlook 4
M HELP--Extract Data from 2003 outlook transfer to excel spreadsheet Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2003 to 2007 data transfer Using Outlook 3
W Transfer Outlook 2016 autocomplete file to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
M Transfer To New Computer - Lost Some Outlook Functionality Using Outlook 0
C Transfer Outlook TextBox Text Into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Diane Poremsky Transfer POP3 Mail on an iPhone to Outlook Using Outlook 7
S Anyone know how to transfer Outlook Express "Identities" to Outlook 2010 ... Using Outlook 1
D Unable to transfer rules from one Outlook computer to another Using Outlook 5
S transfer email account settings from Outlook 2007 to 2010 Using Outlook 5
K transfer iphone contacts to microsoft outlook on computer Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to transfer things from one calendar to another Using Outlook 2
C Transfer Autocomplete from Pop to Exchange Using Outlook 3
P Macros in Word 2003 - how to transfer to another Word 2003? Using Outlook 1
E Some Calendars Not Visible After Transfer Using Outlook 2
A Creating rule to create week folder and transfer mail using alert Using Outlook 3
L How do I set up or transfer a distribution list into Global contac BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER does not allow for BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
O transfer BCM SQL data without backup BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Transfer Form to other pc's Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1