Outlook 2013 Office Outlook 2013 NOT downloading all mail, folders, etc from outlook.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I am in the process of migrating my gmail account to outlook.com. I have successfully imported all of my email, folders, contacts, calendar, etc from gmail to my outlook.com account. I am now in the process of setting up Office Outlook 2013 so it can work with outlook.com. I have successfully set up Office Outlook 2013 to communicate with my outlook.com account because it is pulling from the inbox, syncing contacts, syncing calendar, and it even pulled the folder list from outlook.com. However, it will not pull anything by the newest messages from my inbox. Can anyone help me force Office Outlook to perform a full sync with my outlook.com. I thought Office Outlook 2013 is supposed to fully sync everything with outlook.com, but maybe I have a misunderstanding? My mail file is rather large (14+ GB). Is the initial sync just really slow, and I am being unrealistic when I am expecting to see lots of other visible progress with other folders after I see the inbox complete?

In File, Account Settings, double click on the account - what is the sync slider set to?

EAS is terribly slow - once the accounts are migrated to Office 365 server, it will work much better.

Thank you for the reply. The sync slider is set to "all". Since some time has passed since my original post, I have observed that the sync from outlook.com to Office Outlook 2013 is going alonf.....just as the slow rate that you described. With your response, I am a little confused regarding the statement "once the accounts are migrated to Office 365 server, it will work much better." I assumed that since all my mail is now on outlook.com, it is the same infrastructure as Office 365 (just different names). Can you elaborate a little more. Is there some behind the scenes migration going on to move office.com to what sounds like is better metal with Office 365?

Please disregard my question of Can you elaborate a little more. Is there some behind the scenes migration going on to move office.com to what sounds like is better metal with Office 365? Captain Obvious here googled the topic after my post, and I understand the MS migration plans going to Office 365. I should have looked before typing. My bad.

I assumed that since all my mail is now on outlook.com, it is the same infrastructure as Office 365 (just different names). Can you elaborate a little more. Is there some behind the scenes migration going on to move office.com to what sounds like is better metal with Office 365?
Right now, it's two different servers. Outlook.com is on it's own propritory mail server. They are migrating all of the accounts to the Office 365 servers this year. After the account is migrated, you'll remove the EAS account and add it as an Exchange account.

Last edited:
I assume that the sync capabilities will vastly improve with Office Outlook 2013 once is is ported to Exchange? I ask because my current test experience with EAS between outlook.com and Office Outlook 2013 is horrific at the moment. I saw all my content in Office Outlook just before I shut it down. After restarting it to let the initial sync occur for my contacts and calendar, I noticed that Office Outlook no longer had all the mail in my folders that it recently completed syncing. Very strange behavior to me. I am going to give teh desktop client a few hours to complete a full sync now that I have populated all the components on outlook.com (mail, contact, and calendar).

I assume that the sync capabilities will vastly improve with Office Outlook 2013 once is is ported to Exchange? I ask because my current test experience with EAS between outlook.com and Office Outlook 2013 is horrific at the moment. I saw all my content in Office Outlook just before I shut it down. After restarting it to let the initial sync occur for my contacts and calendar, I noticed that Office Outlook no longer had all the mail in my folders that it recently completed syncing. Very strange behavior to me. I am going to give teh desktop client a few hours to complete a full sync now that I have populated all the components on outlook.com (mail, contact, and calendar).

I know this thread is getting somewehat stale, but I did want to circle back and post the conclusion. I appreciate forums like this, but it is always disappointing to me to find topics that are identical to my issue, but most of the topics never have a logical conclusion. Anyway, the solution to resolve all my problems was to abandon Outlook.com and simply bite the bulled to become an Exchange Online customer. The quality of the products is night & day in my opinion, and the human support you get from Exchange Online "concierge ambassadors" is awesome. I was pulling my brother's 14GB gmail account to get a better solution for syncing with his desktop client and iOS device. Although the free tools are good, at some point, one must pay to get what you want when dealing with such a large mail file with contacts + calendar. Now that I convinced him of the decision to cut over, the benefit outweighs the cost. I just wish we had done it earlier instead of trying to make it all work with the free stuff. There is my two cents. I hope this helps someone else.

Also, kudos to Diane Poremsky for her support with this site and replying so much to user posts. It is greatly appreciated too.

It will improve 100%. You'll be able to upload stuff from outlook too.

Exchange online is definitely a great solution, especially if you own your own domain name. Outlook.com will have this same experience after migration although some features that are less useful to single users will be disabled. This would be things like the new groups & public folders and won't affect the usability. If you have multiple users in your tenant, these features might be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.