Outlook 2010 VBA Code to strip Subject Line when replying or forwarding

Dbinkley

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way, using VBA or otherwise, to strip the email subject line out of the email when replying or fowarding. I want to ALWAYS be forced to type a new subject line, so as to make sure that I'm always sending an intelligent subject line.

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
As you cannot hook into the Outlook 2013 button clicks by VBA like you could in all previous versions, it'd a lot of work to know for sure when you're going to reply or forward. An easy approach, and probably reliable enough, would be to check for the known phrases, like 'RE:', at the beginning of the subject. If found, call the Inputbox function to prompt you. You can do that in the ItemSend event.

These two samples could be adapted and merged:
http://www.vboffice.net/en/developers/prompt-for-missing-subject-before-sending
http://www.vboffice.net/en/developers/remove-text-from-email-subject

However, IMHO you shouldn't change the subject the sender has chosen, be it intelligent or not. Neither you nor the sender could group, sort, or find such messages.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yeah, changing the subject line on replies should be avoided - it breaks conversation groups and makes it harder to follow threads. I also don't recommend hitting reply to start a new message to the person - i know a lot of people do this instead of opening a new message and typing in the address.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
BTW, i have a macro that can 'do something' when you hit reply, but it doesn't work if you are using the new reading pane compose feature in Outlook 2013/2016 - the message needs to be popped out. <== this is the problem michael alluded to. It works fine if you disable reading pane compose or always open messages in new windows to read them.