Repair corrupt .PST & .OST files

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonjansen76

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
What methods exist to repair corrupt Outlook 2003 .PST & .OST files besides using the scanpst and scanost utilities?
An Outlook 2003 user frequently gets messages when he launches Outlook 2003 that the data file is corrupt.
There is then a delay of 30 seconds to several minutes while Outlook checks the data file for errors.
I have used both the scanpst.exe and the scanost.exe utilities to scan and fix the user's two Outlook data files.
I have also moves his .ost file to an alternate location and have then allowed the .OST file to recreate itself.
However, after several days the user continues to start getting these error messages again and using the scanpst and scanost utilities don't fix the problem.
I've heard that there are other methods available such as the Inbox repair tool. However, I don't know how to access or use these other repair methods.
So what other methods exist that I can use to repair the user's corrupted Outlook .OST file and Outlook .PST file?

The inbox repair tool is the "pretty name" for scanpst. I'm expecting the usual spammers to post here that you should use their commercial product, but honestly, if the problem is only occurring when you open Outlook, you don't need to buy a repair utility - you need to look at the computer and figure out why it's being corrupted.

Are you using utilities that access outlook data? If so, close them before closing Outlook.
If you use Safe mode, does the pst get corrupted? If not, it's a utility or addin causing problems.
If your antivirus scans email, turn that feature off.
Are you leaving outlook open when you shut down windows? Try closing it before closing windows - verify outlook.exe is not listed in Task Manager, Processes tab.

<spam link removed>
I do never repair ost files, because it is the cache file of exchange server mailbox. For "repairing" I always disable offline caching, remove ost file and enable caching again.
I would think about repairing ost file only if exchange mailbox would go lost and I had no exchange database backup.
For repairing pst files I normally use scanpst. In rare occasions when pst was not usable anymore I used some other tools to extract and rescue mails from pst, but that is really long procedure.
I take care that pst file is always as small as possible. For outlook 2003 try to keep it under 2GB, even outlook 2003 ANSI pst file can be 2GB big. (Maybe your pst was created with some previos verion of outlook.)
And better that repairing is making a new pst file and move all mails (use archive function) from old pst to new one.
And note that the PST/OST files are not supported on LAN/WAN links by Microsoft, they have to be stored localy.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019
But if still you want to repair pst file then I suggest running Scanpst.exe to check and correct the PSt file problem. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/272227

Last edited by a moderator:
What methods exist to repair corrupt Outlook 2003 .PST & .OST files besides using the scanpst and scanost utilities?
An Outlook 2003 user frequently gets messages when he launches Outlook 2003 that the data file is corrupt.
There is then a delay of 30 seconds to several minutes while Outlook checks the data file for errors.
I have used both the scanpst.exe and the scanost.exe utilities to scan and fix the user's two Outlook data files.
I have also moves his .ost file to an alternate location and have then allowed the .OST file to recreate itself.
However, after several days the user continues to start getting these error messages again and using the scanpst and scanost utilities don't fix the problem.
I've heard that there are other methods available such as the Inbox repair tool. However, I don't know how to access or use these other repair methods.
So what other methods exist that I can use to repair the user's corrupted Outlook .OST file and Outlook .PST file?

Hello,,
First make sure whether your PST file is less than 2 GB or not, because scanpst.exe option is only able to repair corrupt PST file which is less than 2 GB. If PST file is larger than 2 GB then you can not fix issue with this inbuilt repair tool.

Hello,,
First make sure whether your PST file is less than 2 GB or not, because scanpst.exe option is only able to repair corrupt PST file which is less than 2 GB. If PST file is larger than 2 GB then you can not fix issue with this inbuilt repair tool.

hii rihana

Can you provide the complete solution to fix PST error without scanpst.exe

hii rihana

Can you provide the complete solution to fix PST error without scanpst.exe
He/she is trying to sell you a commercial pst repair program.

If the pst is oversized, you will need to trim it down then run scanpst on it. Instructions are here - Repair a Large Outlook Personal Folders File (over 2GB) - work with a copy of the pst and if trimming and scanpst don't fix it for you, you can try one of the commercial programs on that page. (Most, if not all, have trials so you can see if they will work but can't export unless you buy. If any one of the top programs can't recover it, there is a very good chance that the pst is not recoverable)

Status
Not open for further replies.