Outlook 2013 Syncing contacts with Android phone - Outlook.com vs Outlook apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Hooper

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Hi. Up until yesterday I had been successfully syncing contacts in both directions between Outlook 2013 (and Outlook 2016 after recent update) on my Windows 7 /10 PCs and my Android (HTC One-M8) Phonebook. I did this by configuring an Exchange Active Sync account in Outlook 2013/2016 using my Microsoft Home Office 365 account details (it uses a personalised email address) and the Outlook.com app for Android and selecting it as one of the sources for the Android Phonebook. This allowed syncing of all contact details (except Categories) between desktop Outlook Contacts, Office 365 People on web and Android Phonebook. I did have a problem with this several weeks ago but a re-install of Outlook.com app resolved the issue.

Yesterday, however, all contacts disappeared from my Android Phonebook and People app. Quickly realized that this was a result of the Outlook.com app account no longer being listed as Phonebook contacts source. Opening the Outlook.com app now produces a message screen saying that the app has been replaced with the "free, all-new Outlook app for Android". Have this already installed but whilst it synchronizes contacts to itself it doesn't appear as a source for Phonebook contacts. This of course means incoming phone calls now just show the number (and not the name of caller) and for outgoing calls I can no longer type the name of the person and have the name searched for by Phonebook to get the number.

I have read somewhere that it is/will be possible to configure the new Android Outlook app as an Exchange account so that it synchronises contacts with my Office 365 Home account. Is this the case and if so what are the configuration steps to allow this to happen?

An update - I thought contacts were syncing with the new Outlook app but they are not. I thought they were because the People tab in the app is populated with contacts but I believe they are ones that were associated with the old Outlook.com app. Any changes I make to contacts in either desktop Outlook or People tab on Office 365 web access do sync between each other but do not update Outlook Android app. Still have the same basic question - how do you configure the Outlook app to synchronise contacts with Office 365 /Outlook 2013/16 contacts in such a way that they also update the Android Phonebook?

Another update - problem solved. Instead of using the Outlook app I used Settings/Accounts & Sync/Add Account on phone and selected Outlook.com from the list of available account types. I then created the account using my Microsoft account email address and password. I choose just to sync Calendar and Contacts the selected the account as a source for the Android Phonebook. Have know idea why this way works but the Outlook app doesn't!

I have read somewhere that it is/will be possible to configure the new Android Outlook app as an Exchange account so that it synchronises contacts with my Office 365 Home account. Is this the case and if so what are the configuration steps to allow this to happen?

I'm not aware of this - it's certainly not how it works here. It syncs the account fine, but is not linked into the phone app or other apps. I solved it by setting the account up in the native app and only syncing contacts - or you could just use the native app for mail and calendar instead of the outlook app.

FWIW, outlook.com accounts use active sync, which is what exchange accounts use, so it really doesn't matter which you use.

An update - I thought contacts were syncing with the new Outlook app but they are not. I thought they were because the People tab in the app is populated with contacts but I believe they are ones that were associated with the old Outlook.com app.

The people app is recently used email addresses , not necessarily contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.