.msg file saved in network drive appearing in Deleted Items folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have a user that drags and drops his email messages to our network drive. After the message is copied, he deletes all outlook entries of the message. After a while, the message he dropped is gone from the network drive and appears in the Deleted Items folder.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It's back in Outlook's Deleted items? Did he empty the deleted items folder when he deleted it from outlook? There is nothing in outlook that would do this. The network admin could do something to delete it from the network drive and could put it back in the mailbox, if he knew which mailbox to use.

Parish Mills

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm too wondering about how the emails are moved to the server. Are they just being moved into a standard network folder, or are they moved to an Outlook/Exchange folder?

I'm assuming that the emails are just getting copied over to a folder on the server, for retrieval later. I didn't realize this could be done, but I just tried it with both Outlook and Thunderbird, and both copied the emails into the same folder easily.

I think what's happening here are 2 different events. #1. Someone, or something, is deleting the emails off the server, and #2. Outlook is not truly deleting your emails, just compressing them and then hiding them for safe retrieval later.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Outlook is not truly deleting your emails, just compressing them and then hiding them for safe retrieval later.
Outlook doesn't do that - if using exchange, they could be in Exchange's deleted items recovery but if they are in Deleted Items folder, they weren't deleted completely someone recovered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.