.msg file saved in network drive appearing in Deleted Items folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have a user that drags and drops his email messages to our network drive. After the message is copied, he deletes all outlook entries of the message. After a while, the message he dropped is gone from the network drive and appears in the Deleted Items folder.

It's back in Outlook's Deleted items? Did he empty the deleted items folder when he deleted it from outlook? There is nothing in outlook that would do this. The network admin could do something to delete it from the network drive and could put it back in the mailbox, if he knew which mailbox to use.

I'm too wondering about how the emails are moved to the server. Are they just being moved into a standard network folder, or are they moved to an Outlook/Exchange folder?

I'm assuming that the emails are just getting copied over to a folder on the server, for retrieval later. I didn't realize this could be done, but I just tried it with both Outlook and Thunderbird, and both copied the emails into the same folder easily.

I think what's happening here are 2 different events. #1. Someone, or something, is deleting the emails off the server, and #2. Outlook is not truly deleting your emails, just compressing them and then hiding them for safe retrieval later.

Outlook is not truly deleting your emails, just compressing them and then hiding them for safe retrieval later.
Outlook doesn't do that - if using exchange, they could be in Exchange's deleted items recovery but if they are in Deleted Items folder, they weren't deleted completely someone recovered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Save emails as msg file from Outlook Web AddIn (Office JS) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
N Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
T vba extract data from msg file as attachment file of mail message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Sending email copy (*.msg file) of sent email if subject line contains specific string. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Prompt asking the user to send email to folder as *.msg file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Using Outlook 11
A Create message from .msg file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Save selected email message as .msg file (with user to choose folder location) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
M Can't open same msg file more than once at the same time in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
I Renamed msg file Using Outlook 3
A How to open .msg file from Hard disk folder? Using Outlook 3
P I am getting an error msg = cannot open file access denied Using Outlook 3
S OL 2007 user typing. into file box results in .htm.msg Using Outlook 5
C Corrupt .msg file Using Outlook 1
B How to: Open .MSG File from Hard Drive via Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Save Email as .msg File with Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Save e-mail to .msg file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S Problem Accessing .MSG Property 'ImageNaturalHeight' Tag '0x80010003' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G VBA to save selected Outlook msg with new name in selected network Windows folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2016 Outlook Error Msg "The operation cannot be performed ..." How to Stop it Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2016 msg attachments Using Outlook 0
nathandavies Email Details to Excel & Save as .MSG on one macro - combination of 2 macros Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
I Outlook 2010, 2013 will not open .msg or .eml files Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
I Windows 10 - .msg files on disk show Explorer popup error Using Outlook 5
K Cannot consistently drag and drop .msg files into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
Klaas "To Address" duplicated when moving msg to another folder Using Outlook 2
N Saving .msg as sent item on send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Cannot open extracted .msg files from outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Moving .msg files back into outlook Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2000 Rule to Move txt msg Not Working if size >24KB Using Outlook 3
E Outlook 2007 Saves .MSG E-Mails with attachment from Public Folders as RTF Using Outlook 0
T Unable to open msg files in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 11
E msg attachments lose their recipients "smtp" address Using Outlook 2
J Saving Published Outlook Form as msg Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2010 .msg Attachment Readability Using Outlook 1
O Lost attachment found but hidden in msg! Help!! Using Outlook 1
W Save all incomming and sent mails to folder on PC as .msg files Using Outlook 6
A Problems with moving msg files to network folder Using Outlook 3
F "MSG" type attachments are stripped away when senand previewed with HTML tags. Using Outlook 3
S Outlook express 6.0 error msg Using Outlook 1
J HELP!Problem on Task, only half msg can view Using Outlook 7
D Assistance to create a mac that can move a msg based on category to spec fldr Using Outlook 1
J Code to Save Email as an .MSG to Directory when Emails Arrive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
X Attached MSG files change when saved Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Save .msg attachment as .rtf Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10