Is it possible to convert address book to "Auto-Complete List" (NK2)?

Parish Mills

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
On one of our systems, I recently upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2016. He did not keep up his address book, instead he just let the system collect the addresses, and he used the Auto-Complete List feature in Outlook to select his address. Through the upgrade, that list has somehow disappeared.

I was able to get an address book together by setting up his email account through Thunderbird, and then use an email crawler extension to retrieve emails through his inbox and sent items. I then imported the address book into Outlook.

Now I just need to know if it's possible to convert the Address Book over to an Auto-Complete List (NK2 file). Any ideas?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If you are using the same computer and just updated 2007 to 2016, the old NK2 should have been imported - if not, you can import it. If it's on a different computer, place it in the proper location and name it to match the profile name.

To import .nk2 files, follow these steps (from Outlook's Auto-Complete or Nickname Cache (*.NK2)):

1. Make sure that the .nk2 file is in the following folder:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook
    The .nk2 file must have the same name as your current Outlook profile. (By default, the profile name is “Outlook.”)
  2. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
  3. In the Open box, type (or paste) outlook.exe /importnk2, and click OK to import the NK2 into your profile.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Now I just need to know if it's possible to convert the Address Book over to an Auto-Complete List (NK2 file). Any ideas?
BTW on this: you used to be able to load the cache by preparing a message addressed to all addresses then saving it but not sending. Now it needs sent. It might work to go disconnect from the internet and click Send then delete it from the outbox - but if not, then you can't reload the cache.

Parish Mills

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I've tried what your suggesting. It's on the same computer, but somehow the NK2 didn't take. I had a L2 Microsoft Office tech help me with it after we spent 6 hours Friday trying to fix an install. I could try importing an older NK2 from another computer, but it's 3 years old, so it wouldn't be up to date. I'm really needing to find a way to convert an address book to a NK2.