Outlook 2013 Relocating archive.pst file

barryzigas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
My Outlook 2013 archive.pst file has grown to 13GB and I would love to free up that real estate on my hard drive. Does this file have to be accessible to Outlook all the time for the program to function properly? If I relocate it to a thumb drive will I have to keep the drive plugged into a USB port all the time? I gather from a MS KB article that I cannot relocate it to a networked drive.

thanks, BZ

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
As Michael said, it does not have to be loaded all the time. You could move it to a thumb drive if usb2 or 3. (3 is better - outlook needs fast read/write access). Another option is to move the archive to a network drive and connect only when needed and start a new local archive. This keeps current mail that you are more likely to need, closer.

barryzigas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
As Michael said, it does not have to be loaded all the time. You could move it to a thumb drive if usb2 or 3. (3 is better - outlook needs fast read/write access). Another option is to move the archive to a network drive and connect only when needed and start a new local archive. This keeps current mail that you are more likely to need, closer.
Thank you both. On Diane's suggestion, I'd prefer the network drive solution. If I move the archive.pst file to a drive, will Outlook automatically create a new archive.pst file when it can't find the old one in its normal location or will it prompt me in some way? Or should I put the new path in the Outlook account settings? If I use a new .pst file after moving the current one, how would I reconnect with the relocated one if and when I needed to find something there? Finally, what exactly is in the archive.pst file and what capability would I lose if the current one isn't available to Outlook all the time? Could I just backup my Outlook files and delete the current very large archive.pst file and start a new one?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
it's been awhile since I used archive (I have exchange now and it archives differently) - but when you move it, the next time outlook runs it will either create a new one or tell you it can't find it and you click ok to create a new one. I do not recommend using the network archive routinely, so don't archive to it. open it (add it to the profile) when you need to find something and then close it.

To open it, go to file, open & export, open outlook data file and browse to it. to close it, right click on it in the navigation pane and choose ' close archive'

The archive pst just holds the old mail, calendar, and tasks you told it to move out of the working pst. File structure and everything is the same as in your working pst. you only need it in the profile if you need to review old messages & appointments.

barryzigas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Diane: thanks. By "tasks you told it to move out of the working pst" I assume this means deleted emails and contacts, and past dates in the calendar?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Coirrect, past dates in the calendar and in tasks (if you are using tasks)