Relocating archive.pst file

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryzigas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
My Outlook 2013 archive.pst file has grown to 13GB and I would love to free up that real estate on my hard drive. Does this file have to be accessible to Outlook all the time for the program to function properly? If I relocate it to a thumb drive will I have to keep the drive plugged into a USB port all the time? I gather from a MS KB article that I cannot relocate it to a networked drive.

thanks, BZ

As Michael said, it does not have to be loaded all the time. You could move it to a thumb drive if usb2 or 3. (3 is better - outlook needs fast read/write access). Another option is to move the archive to a network drive and connect only when needed and start a new local archive. This keeps current mail that you are more likely to need, closer.

As Michael said, it does not have to be loaded all the time. You could move it to a thumb drive if usb2 or 3. (3 is better - outlook needs fast read/write access). Another option is to move the archive to a network drive and connect only when needed and start a new local archive. This keeps current mail that you are more likely to need, closer.

Thank you both. On Diane's suggestion, I'd prefer the network drive solution. If I move the archive.pst file to a drive, will Outlook automatically create a new archive.pst file when it can't find the old one in its normal location or will it prompt me in some way? Or should I put the new path in the Outlook account settings? If I use a new .pst file after moving the current one, how would I reconnect with the relocated one if and when I needed to find something there? Finally, what exactly is in the archive.pst file and what capability would I lose if the current one isn't available to Outlook all the time? Could I just backup my Outlook files and delete the current very large archive.pst file and start a new one?

it's been awhile since I used archive (I have exchange now and it archives differently) - but when you move it, the next time outlook runs it will either create a new one or tell you it can't find it and you click ok to create a new one. I do not recommend using the network archive routinely, so don't archive to it. open it (add it to the profile) when you need to find something and then close it.

To open it, go to file, open & export, open outlook data file and browse to it. to close it, right click on it in the navigation pane and choose ' close archive'

The archive pst just holds the old mail, calendar, and tasks you told it to move out of the working pst. File structure and everything is the same as in your working pst. you only need it in the profile if you need to review old messages & appointments.

Diane: thanks. By "tasks you told it to move out of the working pst" I assume this means deleted emails and contacts, and past dates in the calendar?

Coirrect, past dates in the calendar and in tasks (if you are using tasks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T How to find or display the sub-folder name for an Archive Search Using Outlook 10
humility36 Cannot move emails to archive - 440 error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Why are some email automatically going to "archive" Using Outlook 2
HarvMan Archive Email Manually Using Outlook 1
L Is there a way to completely disable the "archive" box? Using Outlook 1
P How did hacker cause link to delete and archive containing email? Using Outlook 6
B Outlook 2016 Auto-archive creates new folder Using Outlook 3
N .pst archive from work will not open/import on Microsoft 365 Exchange Server Administration 0
D Archive by receive date not working Using Outlook 2
S Messages moved / deleted by auto-archive are not synchronized to exchange Exchange Server Administration 8
GregS Can't access archive file Using Outlook 5
semnaitik Archive PST is not empty but can't see old emails Using Outlook 2
CWM030 I do not see a way to set the personal archive folder Exchange Server Administration 2
K Outlook Archive to PST Files by Date Range VBA Script? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Chancing / remove “ something ” in the subject, online archive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
S Moving Emails Between Archive Folders Using Outlook 1
M Multiple spurious empty folders appear in archive files Using Outlook 3
P Can't search Archive'd Tasks Using Outlook 0
C Merge two archive calendars Using Outlook 1
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 0
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 6
A Does Outlook import Gmail Archive? Using Outlook 1
A Creating archive rule on the clients by script/ Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K Different kind of issue related to creation of archive after one has been deleted Exchange Server Administration 1
skylark53 Archive a single Outlook 2013 folder tree Using Outlook 5
P Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail? Using Outlook 1
L Archive Shared Folders for all to Share Using Outlook 0
Z Manual archive of select folders Using Outlook 1
J How to Reply or Forward a message and Archive it in same step? Using Outlook 0
Jennifer Murphy Difference between export and archive? Using Outlook 10
D I can’t access my archive.pst Files Using Outlook 2
K Change the default Archive location via GPO in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
G archive attribute for email attachments Using Outlook 2
S Create rule to effect archive only Using Outlook 4
O Importing pst, archive pst and address not working Using Outlook 17
J Auto-archive with Exchange account Using Outlook 2
D Add data in archive.pst to outlook.pst Using Outlook 4
J Outlook 2007 Archive Using Outlook 1
R [outlook-users] Messages won't archive Using Outlook 5
T Move archive file to new hard drive and still be ablse to access it Using Outlook 1
M Max size reached for archive folders Using Outlook 1
R Exchange 2010 archive-prevent users moving items direct to archive Exchange Server Administration 1
A Outlook 2007 archive folders and files Using Outlook 10
H Opening .PST archive files in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 10
A Is my archive too big? Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010: How do you enable Contacts' Activities to search archive folders Using Outlook 6
J Inbox not in archive Using Outlook 1
M Attachments in archive Using Outlook 3
R Custom Archive code -- modify my code! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Archive bit in email messages? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3