Where are BCM User Customizations located?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chockomonkey

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Whenever we have a new user or there is a corrupted profile and a new one must be created, we lose all the users's customizations along with--and most importantly--all the tabs they have set up. I have been scouring the profile for awhile and have come up blank.

Anyone know where this stuff is located?

Thanks!

I thought all of the BCM stuff was in the bcm data base. If you mean ribbon tabs, they are in a customUI file at %localappdata%\microsoft\office.
Indeed all of the customization to BCM itself is stored in the database.

The tabs I'm trying to recover are the tabs for filtering contacts in the Contact Management Section, see below (Accounts and Business Contacts are all that's left when a new profile is created. All the tabs set up by the user are not stored in the BCM Database.):

hrRN1fP.png

I gave your suggestion a shot and copied the office folder from my previous profile to my new one. Sadly these tabs are not stored there. Any other ideas would be welcome!

I'll boot a test system and check - there is a program called Regshot that watches the registry and can watch the hard drive as you make changes.

Try C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager - i think its the minortab folder but i can't tell based on the file dates. The files can be opened in notepad so you can look for the tab name.

That was the only folder that had a new file in it when i created a tab but i don't see any information containing the tab name in the file.

I'd probably copy the entire folder over and see if the tabs come back.

I know... shouldn't talk to myself. :) But Browsing a bit more and a found a dat file that does list the tab names - it's in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager\Shell\profile-name

i don't know if there is anything in the entire business contact folder that would cause issues if you just copied the entire thing over. (except the database files that is)

Thanks a lot for your efforts, Diane... and for telling me about this Regshot utility. I played around with it a bit, and it will come in handy in the future, i'm sure. A nice thing to have in one's toolbelt!

As for BCM and the tabs I'm looking for, I think I'm out of luck. I have verified that the folders you found exist and have some information in them, but I was only able to test in a scenario with varying users (USER1's MinorTabs folder copied to USER2's BCM folder). When this is done, Outlook prompts that there is an invalid configuration file and that it will reset everything to default values.

I wasn't able to test with my own profile backup--i'm not sure why, but the BCM folder is not there at all. I must have kept the wrong profile as a backup or something.

In any case, I will report back here if or when i find anything else!

Thanks again!!

Regshot is my savior - it makes people think I'm a genius and know everything. lol

As fate would have it, I had an opportunity to play with tab migration yesterday!

A user's Outlook 2010 profile got corrupted, and I had to create a new one.

This creates a folder for this new user profile:

C:\Users\{{ user.name }}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Business Contact Manager\Shell\{{ user.new_profile.name }}
All the other stuff in the Business Contact Manager folder is tied to the windows account, rather than the outlook account.

Moving the .dat file from:

...\Business Contact Manager\Shell\{{ user.old_profile.name }}​

to:

...\Business Contact Manager\Shell\{{ user.new_profile.name }}​

successfully restores the tabs!

I will report back if or when I play with migrating these tabs from one windows profile to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Where are User-defined fields stored in BCM 2010 database? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
J Where does BCM store User-Defined fields in the database? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
S Where is the BCM SDK?? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Where is Final Release BCM 2010, Microsoft? Why is Dev Team silent BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
B Where is RTM version of BCM 2010? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
K Where is BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
J Outlook 365 Add keywords from Listbox to the message body where cursor is placed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Changing where data .pst is saved to Using Outlook 3
D Anyone tell me where custom view settings are stored? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 After a search in all mailboxes, where is each message that was found? Using Outlook 6
M Where is the setting to *turn off* open calendar in a new window? Using Outlook 3
J OUTLOOK 2016 FILE STORAGE WHERE COMMAND Using Outlook 12
C Long List Of Outlook 2016/Outlook.com Bugs // Where To Report? Using Outlook 10
S Views ans Where Settings AreSavd Using Outlook 4
F Move mails from Deleted Items folder back to its original folder where the mails got deleted Using Outlook 0
Horsepower Where did Evenote come from? Using Outlook 6
tswatek Issue with where Outlook saves new contacts Using Outlook 3
snissen Where is "Edit Message" in Outlook 2016? Using Outlook 2
Mark Foley Where are Outlook categories save for IMAP? Using Outlook 12
T Where did my categorized emails go? Using Outlook 1
H Where to post code in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R click to toggle quick click category reasigns to where ? Using Outlook 2
P Where are the cached emails stored? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
D VBA Script (Ask to where to save send mail) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook 2013 People Pane - Where is the "Add" button for social networks? Using Outlook 4
J Lost contacts.pst afer sync with iCloud: where has contact.pst disapperaed to? Using Outlook 3
O Outlook 2013 contacts - Where to find "Display as"-field Using Outlook 2
J Linking Contacts to a Message Where the Contact isn't an Addressee Using Outlook 1
L How do i choose where i file my sent messages? Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 Contact Card opens in margin of screen where I can't see it Using Outlook 3
P Where the heck is the data? Using Outlook 10
G Modify Subject line of incoming mail where I am in Cc line Using Outlook 1
B Can't locate in Outlook custom form where is message from Using Outlook 4
B help: where are outlook2000 email accounts stored Using Outlook 14
Rupert Dragwater Where to find folders in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
B Where are my emails that I already? Using Outlook 1
G Where are Saved Reports physically stored? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
O Where is Launcher, the custom action for Exchange server? Exchange Server Administration 1
N Where have all the helpful people gone in this forum? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
S Custom Fields - Deleting And Where Are They Saved Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
M WHERE without using CASE Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Where to publish my custom form ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Where is Business Contact Manager?? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T Where is "administrative groups" Exchange Server Administration 9
D Where does Outlook store signatures? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
K Get folder path where an account stores messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
A COM add-in causes Outlook 2007 to periodically crash where it did not in Outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
1 Where Can I get hold of a copy of Business Contact Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5