Save in folder other than Sent when replying with Quick Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowdog850

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I implemented Inbox Zero a while ago. It's working great, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting to Sent Items zero. I checked the option that says "When replying to a message that is not in the Inbox, save the reply in the same folder". That works fine to keep me organized and things out of Sent Items. However, it means that I have to move the message into the right folder before replying. So I get an e-mail, move it to the proper folder, then open the folder, go to the message, and hit Reply.

I thought that Quick Steps might help. I created a Quick Step with two steps. The first moves the current message into my Customers folder. The second step does Reply. I thought that since I had already moved the message, that the Reply would go into the Customers folder. But it does not. It goes to Sent Items. So this doesn't really save me any time, because I then have to go into Sent Items and move the e-mail.

Any way to do this? I can't filter based on anything because any e-mail could end up in my Customers folder. It might be from a Customer, or it might be from someone in my organization referencing a customer problem.

If I could assign a category to the reply with a Quick Step, then I could create a Rule to put it into the proper folder, but I can't assign a category.

How about rules to move everything as they arrive and use a search folder to show you all of the unread mail together in one folder? Replies will go into the folder with the original and both the inbox and sent folder will be empty.

My problem is that usually need to make a manual decision on each e-mail that comes in. For example, my co-worker might send me an e-mail that is about the current development project, customer support, or the latest trade by the Cubs. When I open the e-mail and read it, I know which folder it's supposed to go in, but I can't make a rule that would know ahead of time.

oh. How about using search folders to find the message easier after it was moved? The problem with using quick steps is that it replies then moves. The other option is to set the move to folder on the message, but that will be slower.

Just an FYI, I was chasing the answer to the exact same problem. Seems like a VBA script was the only way to go.
Just google "Save in folder other than Sent when replying with Quick Steps"
on superuser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Change default "Save Sent Item To" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
Diane Poremsky Choosing the Folder to Save a Sent Message In Using Outlook 0
R How do I 'Save Copy of Sent Item to Folder' for a Shared Mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
J Save emails in the IMAP sent folder Using Outlook 2
W Save all incomming and sent mails to folder on PC as .msg files Using Outlook 6
C Outlook 365 Copy/Save Emails in Folder Outside Outlook to Show Date Sender Recipient Subject in Header Using Outlook 0
G VBA to save selected Outlook msg with new name in selected network Windows folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
9 Outlook 2016 How to save an Outlook attachment to a specific folder then delete the email it came from? Using Outlook 1
W Save Outlook attachment in network folder and rename to current date and time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 18
J Save E-mail attachments in a specific folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Diane Poremsky Save Messages and Attachments to a New Folder Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Save Messages and Attachments to a New Folder Using Outlook 0
L Save Mail Message to new folder created automatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Save selected email message as .msg file (with user to choose folder location) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
nathandavies How to save emails to a specific folder on a network automatically using a macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
L Save Contact Search as a Folder 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Automatically save attachment to network folder Exchange Server Administration 1
B Task macro to save task into specific folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Updating Registry to force new task and note items to save in a particular folder Using Outlook 1
B Option: Save to folder ? Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010: Cannot save forms templates to folder list Using Outlook 4
E Auto Save Zip File Attachment to Network Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Y How to save a custom form in a specified folder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Save emails as msg file from Outlook Web AddIn (Office JS) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Outlook (desktop app for Microsoft365) restarts every time I save my VBA? Using Outlook 1
D VBA Macro to Print and Save email to network location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N VBA Macro To Save Emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Save emails within a certain date range to network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Outlook 365 Move newly created tasks automatically on save. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Save attachment run a script rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Outlook 2016 64bit, Cannot Save in 'HTML', format Using Outlook 1
N Save selected messages VBA does not save replies and/or messages that contain : in subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Macro to add Date & Time etc to "drag to save" e-mails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
S save attachment with date & time mentioned inside the file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Add VBA save code Using Outlook 0
A Edit attachment Save and Reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Outlook 2013 Script Assistance - Save Opened Link with Subject Added Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Use an ItemAdd to Save Attachments on Arrival Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Outlook Calendar does not save view any longer! Using Outlook 3
S automate save the .xlxs file to share Network Using Outlook 1