Slow character rendering after Hebrew used

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadicalDad

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 32-bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
The latest version of click-to-run Office (16.0.6568.2025) for Windows has created a character rendering and cursor movement problem in Outlook. When writing a new email or replying, characters are very slow to appear, cursor movement lags badly, and sometimes the cursor simply remains in the wrong place relative to the character just typed. The "wrong placement" problem happens most often with spaces, but can happen with any character. It is almost as if the character rendering engine is confused as to whether Hebrew or English is in use.

This problem only shows up if Hebrew has been invoked in the current Windows session. That is to say, if I am working on a Word document that contains both Hebrew and English, as long as I don't type in Hebrew, the problem doesn't appear. Once I actually type Hebrew characters in the Word document, then the problem shows up in Outlook. This problem does not show up in Word. I suspect that using Hebrew in IE or any other program would also trigger the problem in Outlook, but I haven't tested that. I suspect, but cannot test, that this problem would occur with any RTL language (Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, etc.). Once the problem occurs in Outlook, the only fix is to reboot.

Windows 10 and/or Office 2016 actually introduced a number of RTL language bugs that were not present in earlier versions. I produce custom Hebrew keyboards and associated software for both Windows and OS X, so I know of whence I speak. The other problems are highly annoying, but this new character lag problem makes Outlook practically unusable. Any ideas as to how I might get Microsoft to sit up, take notice, and actually fix the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Commodore Slow calendar Using Outlook 0
N Outlook is very slow Using Outlook 0
M Ignore slow add-ins Using Outlook 0
S Adding new Exchange (2016) rule very slow down Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server Administration 0
1 Opens Slow Using Outlook 4
M Slow VBA macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Cdub27 Move Outlook 2016 Contacts to Other Folders - Extremely Slow !! Using Outlook 6
D Very slow when digitally signed Exchange Server Administration 0
Diane Poremsky Office for Mac: Insider Fast and Slow Builds Using Outlook 0
M Very slow operation Using Outlook 0
I Outlook 2016 and Slow access to Outlook.com IMAP Using Outlook 0
B very slow attachments Using Outlook 5
T Outlook 2010 Very Slow To Open Recently Using Outlook 9
Sarge USMC troubleshooting slow startup Using Outlook 6
I Outlook 03 slow startup Using Outlook 5
B Outlook suddenly very slow Using Outlook 4
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
B Outlook 2013 slow or no receipt of emails Using Outlook 0
R Slow Calendar Synch Between Outlook 2013 and iCloud Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2000 slow Using Outlook 2
P Oulook 2010 very slow Using Outlook 2
B Slow to receive emails on Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 35
Z "Mark All as Read" in Outlook 2007 extremely slow Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 - Slow opening folders when inserting attachments Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2010 slow with Yahoo IMAP Using Outlook 1
M BCM 2010 Link to Record (very) slow BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
D Outlook 2010, super slow! IMAP issue I think Using Outlook 1
M bcm painfully slow BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Outlook 2003 very slow to open Using Outlook 5
M All fonts in Outlook emails display with exaggerated character spacing Using Outlook 4
L VBA unknown character Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A "untitled attachment" if file name contains eg. special character Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Rules check for new line character Using Outlook 1
C How do I change the default character spacing in Outlook e-mail? Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2007 AddIn: Rendering issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1