Upgrade in Progress. Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrade to Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Diane
I am on Win10, 64 bit with Outlook 2010.
I noticed MS placed a number of Outlook patches on my pc as an upgrade last night and now when I open Outlook I get the message Upgrade in Progress. "Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrade to Outlook 2010...." it goes on to say it will take 15 minutes and there is a link that supposedly resolves this but the link is inactive. It goes on telling me to upgrade to the latest version of Outlook Hotmail Connector.
Essentially Outlook cannot receive or send.
I have two POP A/cs both with a major carrier Optusnet. I have no free accounts such as Hotmail.
I notice quite a lot of complaints from people experiencing this from 12 months ago or longer (pre Win10 I assume) and could not find anything current on your forum so thought I would get the correct answer from you please.
I noticed there was a security patch for Word downloaded at the same time and on checking Word it opened differently than usual (it opened using several different flash screens than it usually does) and when it did eventually open it had minimized the ribbon but at least it works. Obviously these patches affected my OS/programs with the major effect it has stopped Outlook from working.
Can you tell me the correct procedure to follow to rectify this frustrating fault with Outlook please.
Thanks
Mal

Hi Diane
I am on Win10, 64 bit with Outlook 2010.
I noticed MS placed a number of Outlook patches on my pc as an upgrade last night and now when I open Outlook I get the message Upgrade in Progress. "Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrade to Outlook 2010...." it goes on to say it will take 15 minutes and there is a link that supposedly resolves this but the link is inactive. It goes on telling me to upgrade to the latest version of Outlook Hotmail Connector.
Essentially Outlook cannot receive or send.
I have two POP A/cs both with a major carrier Optusnet. I have no free accounts such as Hotmail.
I notice quite a lot of complaints from people experiencing this from 12 months ago or longer (pre Win10 I assume) and could not find anything current on your forum so thought I would get the correct answer from you please.
I noticed there was a security patch for Word downloaded at the same time and on checking Word it opened differently than usual (it opened using several different flash screens than it usually does) and when it did eventually open it had minimized the ribbon but at least it works. Obviously these patches affected my OS/programs with the major effect it has stopped Outlook from working.
Can you tell me the correct procedure to follow to rectify this frustrating fault with Outlook please.
Thanks
Mal

Hi Diane. On checking this entry for a reply I noticed a Windows repair link on this entry. It was put there as a solution but not really worded that way. I started to complete it but stopped thinking it was a hack. It did not look safe. Did you put up as a solution to my problem or is it a unsafe link? I now notice that when I log in it is no longer visible.
Thanks
Malcolm

Don't worry about replying to my original message now Diane. MS has loaded a number of updates on my pc last night with the result that outlook is now working again. I did nothing to make this happen. I was just waiting for your response so I assume MS must read these entries and compiles patches to suit where relevant.
This case can be closed now.

It looks like a update broke it and one fixed it.... it's not a common message and when Outlook updates the data file, the update is pretty quick. But it should only happen if you upgrade outlook.

Diane, I am having the same exact error the difference being I use a gmail account. When I scan for updates I am advised my computer is up to date and the issue remains. I cannot expand either of my mailbox folders.

is the account set up as imap? The easiest fix is to delete the data file used for that account so outlook can create a new one.

Yes, but only if you are using an imap account. Do not delete POP3 pst files from the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.