Immediate crash on opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregS

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
When starting Outlook 2016, a User Account Control dialog comes up asking for permission to "allow this app to make changes". Clicking OK, causes an immediate crash to desktop and "Outlook has stopped working" message.
Starting a second time brings up a dialog "do you want to start in Safe Mode". Previously that would also crash with the "Outlook" profile. I created a new clean profile that will allow a restart in Safe Mode, where Outlook works normally.
I have no idea where to begin in troubleshooting this problem. Running Win 10 V.1607 Build 1493.1 I'm using Office 16.0.7070,2033. I did find an AppCrash file for the incident. The only part I understood was the reference to MSPST.dll. I will attach the file. Thanks for taking a look at this.

Attachments

• AppCrash.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,243
If the Office application starts in Safe Mode, disable the add-ins one at a time.

1. With the Office application still in Safe Mode, click File > Options > Add-Ins.

2. Next to the Manage list, click Go.

3. Uncheck one of the add-ins in the list and click OK.

4. Restart the application (not in Safe Mode this time).
If the Office application starts, there’s a problem with the add-in you unchecked. We recommend you visit the company website for the add-in to check for an updated version you can install. If there isn’t a newer version or if you don’t need to use the add-in you can leave it unchecked or remove it from your PC.

If the Office application doesn’t start, repeat the steps to uncheck the other add-ins one by one.

If all add-ins are unchecked and you still can’t open your Office application, follow the steps:
A COM Add-in may also be responsible for the startup problem. With the Office application still in Safe Mode:

1. Click File > Options > Add-Ins.

2. In the Manage list, click COM Add-Ins, and then click Go.

3. Uncheck one of the add-ins in the list and click OK.

4. Restart the application (not in Safe Mode this time).
If the Office application starts, the COM add-in you unchecked is causing the problem. We recommend you visit the company website for the add-in to find out if there’s an updated version you can install. If there isn’t a newer version or if you don’t need to use the COM add-in you can leave it unchecked.

Did you try repairing office? I'm not sure if it will help as there are apparently some bugs with those versions of Windows and office. I haven't been able to repro the problems and the only solution is to roll office back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2007 crash linked to gdiplus.dll Using Outlook 0
H How-To recover email from Computer Crash Using Outlook 2
E I have had a total server crash. Exchange Server Administration 2
S BCM crash Atheros Addin 2010 Using Outlook 1
H Scroll Crash BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
B Trouble Starting Outlook 2010 after Crash Using Outlook 3
K Outlook Crash on referencing forms Using Outlook 1
jobudge Reinstalled Outlook 2013 after system crash what is best way to synch with gmail? Using Outlook 1
T issue bcm crash when using mousewheel BCM (Business Contact Manager) 7
B Office 2013: Crash when the E-Mails are sent Using Outlook 3
C crash during account setup - can't delete corrupted account/data file Using Outlook 13
A Major Server Crash - Now Public Calendar Categories Aren't Working! Using Outlook 1
T New Inspector word editor crash Outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Business Contact Manager (BCM) causing Outlook crash loop BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
J BCM -07 Restoration - File Crash BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
L How do you Recover from An Outlook 2007 & BCM Crash BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Crash when using GetInspector Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A COM add-in causes Outlook 2007 to periodically crash where it did not in Outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R How do I reconnect the database files after a system crash? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 11
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
KurtLass Opening Graphics Attachments in Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 0
Witzker Place cursor at opening, a user defined OL contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A OutLook For Mac 16.46 Comes Up In Small Window When Opening Using Outlook 4
U Disable "Always ask before opening" Dialog Using Outlook 3
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Opening Mail Attachment Using Outlook 2
A Warning When Opening attachment Using Outlook 7
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Upon opening Outlook, make my popmail inbox open instead of outlook.com inbox Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Changing events in Outlook calendar via opening file, importing CSV Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2016- unable to have all subfolders expanded when opening outlook Using Outlook 11
Diane Poremsky Error Opening Outlook and Control Panel's Mail Applet Using Outlook 0
S my vbscript button1_click code works on appointment created but not on opening an existing apntmn Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
J Opening Attachments - in People Using Outlook 2
Mistyfied Outlook 2016 not opening Using Outlook 2
M Update field codes when opening Outlook Template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Outlook PST not opening Using Outlook 1
U .pst file error at opening outlook Using Outlook 1
A Problems Opening Excel from Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky Disable the Unsafe Hyperlink Warning when Opening Attachments Using Outlook 0
S macro for opening attachments and printing Using Outlook 1
Z how to make OL (2007) to use custom contact form when importing / opening .VCF? Using Outlook 1
T Opening email causes "Contacting ..." message Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2013 stuck "processing" when opening. Using Outlook 3
S Opening Outlook Windows Using Outlook 1
S PoP up reminder while opening the outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1