Status
Not open for further replies.

norbertlars

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
hey,

i use at home Outlook 2016 to query my emails from 2 gmail accounts ( pop3 ) , one account is used for funny stuff is set to delete all from gmail, the other just copies the messages. both the accounts drop the emails to a MyMail.PST file ( ~ 30Gb by now :D)

i also use Outlook to read (and store) RSS messages from different tech pages. the problems appears here as i`ve made a new file RSS.PST where i move all the RSS stuff.

the problem i get is pretty annoying, each time i reinstall the system ( 6 months - 1 year ) the RSS are moving by default to the MyMail.PST and i have to set manually one by one to move to the RSS.PST. this is the first problem, most of the times it takes me 30-60 minutes and is done ( ~ 50-60 rss feeds )

the annoying problem is that when i reinstall and add the RSS.PST to a new outlook it creates the default folders inbox/sent/deleted/outbox ..and so on which i dont need it :) as i use that RSS.PST only to store files. any idea how to remove ( or hide) those folders?

thank you

I have a macro that will hide the folders - but as long as the pst is not set as default, it shouldn't create those folders.
How to Hide or Delete Outlook's Default Folders - for the non-default folder, you can delete, if the default folder, Hide to reduce the chances that outlook will recreate then.

When you reinstall, do you use the same computer name and account log in? If so, save the profile keys from the registry and you'll save a few steps. In 2016 the profile is under the Outlook path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles

But... you really shouldn't need to reinstall frequently with the modern OSes. You shouldn't make a new pst every 6 months to a year as some "experts" (namely, Woody Leonard) convinced people they had to do. If you do this to reduce the pst size, use auto archive (now called clean up old mail) to move or delete mail.

never knew that so many data is in registry from outlook, i`ve saved the location for the next reinstall

i like to test new stuff most of the time so thats why i keep reinstalling but i do when major updates are coming, probably i will reinstall this system in 1 month ( after 10 months active )

the .pst is from long ago, ported from outlook 2007 - > 2010 > 2016 :) i only delete stuff inside and compact it like 6-8 months with a drop of 5-6 Gb each time

the rss i had to move to a different .pst to be able to compact more frequently

i did the hide with mfcmapi (x64) and worked nice, only one stuff remaining, probably by design "search folder" but it`s ok as it is. i`ve tried before this tool but i was stuff in the 1st screen, never knew that i need to log and double click the .pst files that appear there

thank you

Yeah, search folders can't be removed or hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Going Forward: Using Outlook 2016 for RSS Feeds Using Outlook 2
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 and Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2016 MSI - Possible to make work with O365 modern Auth & Win7? Using Outlook 4
J Outlook 2016 Trying to get Outlook 2016 to work with Office 365 Using Outlook 0
W Transfer Outlook 2016 autocomplete file to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Can't display some embedded HTML images in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
Z Remove GMAIL IMAP account from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
P Prevent Outlook 2016 from using DASL filter Using Outlook 4
bhamberg Shortcuts in Folder Pane (Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 19
G Outlook 2016: Want IMAP Data Files on My D: Drive and Not C: Drive Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 64bit, Cannot Save in 'HTML', format Using Outlook 1
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
B vBA for exporting excel file from outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
glnz Can Word Normal.dotm interfere with Outlook? Office 2016 Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2016 and Earlier with Office365 in 2021 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Retail C2R keeps logging since update? Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2016 Does Outlook-2016 (64 bit) work with iCloud for Windows ? Using Outlook 5
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
V Outlook 2016 Outlook-2016 and iCloud for Windows - Problems Using Outlook 11
U Outlook 2016 Outlook 2016 sender name Using Outlook 1
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 15
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R seperate read layout to design in outlook 2016..Help!! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
G Recurring tasks break links Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
A How to get body of all emails in outlook 2016 to view in blue color Using Outlook 1
J Edit auto-complete list in Outlook 2016+/365? Using Outlook 0
D iCloud Add-in not working in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 After Windows Upgrade & iCloud Upgrade Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 iPhone won't download Outlook 2016 Mail. Using Outlook 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
A How to open a specific link automatically with outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
V Outlook 2016 will not move emails in search results Using Outlook 4
K Using Outlook 2016 to draw Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2016 Free/Busy settings ignored Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2016/2019 hangs after being open for an extended period Using Outlook 4
GregS 2016 Contact List being managed by Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2016 in Cached Mode Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2016 sync contacts directly between phone and computer using outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2016 Folder Icons Look Using Outlook 0
Marc2019 Outlook 2016 Font Problem Using Outlook 5
B Outlook 2016 Does not Shutdown Correctly Using Outlook 3