• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Linking Excel Cell to Shared Contacts

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hello All,

I'm new here, but have read through many articles on the site for various issues. I apologize if this has been covered somewhere in the forums that I've been unable to locate....

I work for a property management company. I have a spreadsheet that is designed to track every property we manage, and on that spreadsheet I have columns that list the appropriate property manager for each property.
upload_2016-9-6_16-16-12.png

Above is an example. Our company uses Office 365, and we have a company shared contact list. I would like to create a hyperlink between "Jane Doe" and "John Doe" and their respective vCards in Outlook. So when I click on their name in the Excel spreadsheet, it opens their contact info in Outlook. I know this is possible if the vCards are stored on our local file server, but is there a way to do this if they're stored on our - I guess it would be sharepoint?

Thank you!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You can try the method here - Using Outlook Links - which uses <Outlook:Contacts/~Name> format, including the brackets. You'll need to enabled outlook:// as a protocol for it to work - i haven't tested it in 2016 to see if it is still supported.

Shortcuts and the Missing Outlook:// Protocol - make sure you use the correct path to your outlook.

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hey Diane,

Thank you for your help with this. I've made some progress towards accomplishing this, but have run into an issue. I am able to successfully link to folders within my Outlook, but am still having trouble linking to the shared contacts folder I created on our Sharepoint. I followed the method here to create it: Create a company Shared Contacts folder in Office 365 | Cogmotive Reports Blog

Here is a screenshot of the public folders/contact list in my Outlook.
upload_2016-10-18_13-52-18.png

Here are the variations of the link I've tried to use to link to Outlook from the excel document:

<Outlook://Public Folders/All Public Folders/DPMG Public Folders/DPMG Shared Contacts/~(Contact name)

<Outlook://Public Folders/
I did this one just to see if it would open the Outlook folder. It wouldn't.

I am the owner of these folders, and the admin to our organization, so I don't think my user is being restricted in any way. Does Microsoft have some kind of restriction that prevents Excel from accessing files on Outlook that are stored in Sharepoint or something like that? Or am I just missing something simple?

Thanks Again,
Zach

Attachments

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Here is the error that I receive. It seems to think that the formatting of the link is incorrect, but I've tried entering it the way they suggest with %20 for spaces as well. I'm stumped! It has something to do with the public folders, because I am successfully linking to any other folders.

upload_2016-10-19_10-26-6.png

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Alright... The address was incorrect to access these folders:
upload_2016-10-21_13-41-18.png

It had to be written like this:
outlook://Public%20Folders%20-%20User@domain/All%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Shared%20Contacts/

This works fine to access the DPMG Shared Contacts... However, when trying to pull up an individual item in the contact list, it receives the following error.
upload_2016-10-21_13-40-42.png

Here is an example of the hyperlink I'm using: outlook://Public%20Folders%20-%20User@domain.com/All%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Shared%20Contacts/~Test

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Alright... The address was incorrect to access these folders:
View attachment 1810

It had to be written like this:
outlook://Public%20Folders%20-%20User@domain/All%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Shared%20Contacts/

This works fine to access the DPMG Shared Contacts... However, when trying to pull up an individual item in the contact list, it receives the following error. View attachment 1809

Here is an example of the hyperlink I'm using: outlook://Public%20Folders%20-%20User@domain.com/All%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Public%20Folders/DPMG%20Shared%20Contacts/~Test

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Edit: Upon Googling the error, I found that this error occurs when Google Apps conflicts with something in Outlook. I do have a Gmail account tied to this profile on my computer. To nullify that, I went to our backup computer, created a new Outlook profile and tried following the link. I receive the same error.