Format Reading Pane

Status
Not open for further replies.

thintz

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Is there a way to use regular expressions to match message patterns and replace them with hyperlinks without changing the original message? I just want to have helpers when viewing related material. For example, convert "invoice 1234" into a hyperlink to show the invoice from an external web site.

assuming the url is always the same and only the variable, yes. regex can find the invoice the pass the variable to a url which is the activated. i have regex examples at slipstick.com as well as sample code that opens urls.

example: regex finds invoice 123 - passes the value of strInv to the urL:
"http://domain.com/folder/" & strInv & ".htm"

Thank you, Diane. I did see your posts regarding both those topics but I'm new to the topic of Outlook macros. I gather I use Alt-F11 to create a macro, and somewhere else I map it to an event that causes it to run when the Reading Pane displays content? If you can draw my attention to a post that walks me through the basics I would be greatful. Thank you again,

To be clear, I don't want to open the links automatically. Really what I want is for the pane to automatically show hyperlinks for patterns without the user pressing any buttons to cause this format change. The action is only taken when the user clicks one of the links. I want to display the message with this rendering directly in the pane, but I don't want to alter the original message.

If I understand the example correctly the user must manually run a macro which then automatically exercises the link to the external system. Am I misunderstanding? Thank you again,

Yeah, the macro opens the links - it can be automatic but as written, you need to click a button.

I'm not aware of any way you can display a hyperlink without actually editing the message to add the hyperlink, other than using a pop-up box. you could use a message box, but it's modal and would basically prevent outlook from doing anything until you clicked ok. I'm not sure if a userform can be made non-modal. You could write it to a new message (word doc, excel, etc) - that wouldn't be modal.

The other option is a bigger project - a new pane on the right that shows the link. It may not be automatic - the user might need to click a button to show the pane. There is an example of this at Additional custom panel in Microsoft Outlook - CodeProject (not sure if that sample works in 2013/2016 but they do support panes )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
e_a_g_l_e_p_i MY Outlook 2021 changed the format of the shortcuts for mail, calendar etc. Using Outlook 10
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
S Combination Field (Date Format) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Format Lost between Tasks and To Do Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2016 Change Paste Special Default Format Using Outlook 8
S Format Inbox Using Outlook 0
P Short Date Format when typing in a task Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 64bit, Cannot Save in 'HTML', format Using Outlook 1
K Need to convert .mmf file to .pst format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
C Outlook 2016 Conditional Format for User Defined Field Using Outlook 1
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1
L Time format in Outlook calendar and emails Using Outlook 0
Y Outlook Task View - Table Format - Customize Reminder Time to Drop-Down Selection Using Outlook 2
T How to Export mailbox from Outlook 2019 to MBOX format? Using Outlook 1
J What is the best EntryID format to set on MS Access table Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is there a way to add something that is in the "Format Text" tab to the "basic Text" on the message tab Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 2010 Can somebody tell me , the question associated with OST format Using Outlook 1
Witzker Correct Format of custom Yes/No Checkboxes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M font format discrepancies with Quick Parts Using Outlook 1
S Email Format With Embedded Images and Tables Change Using Outlook 2
G How to filter by the format of an email address Using Outlook 6
R Lost PST files after format Using Outlook 6
J Outlook 2013 how to convert 2013 OST file into an another format, i m using outlook 2013 versions. Using Outlook 1
fitzgerald Lost PST files after format - how to recover deleted files? Using Outlook 3
Dr. Demento Outlook output to array -> Excel & re-format Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010: Missing tab - "Format/Picture Tools" HELP! Using Outlook 3
skylark53 Loss of default format on deleting signature Using Outlook 5
O Setting default format for composing/replying to emails Using Outlook 3
divan VbaProject: Changing email format Using Outlook 15
O VBA to change message format and add formatted signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
divan Macro to format email in a certain folder then forward to email address Using Outlook 3
M Macro to Format certain words in email message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J Format change when dragging from email to Task Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2013 Phone Number Format Using Outlook 0
R How to format text within appointment/meeting body? Using Outlook 6
L Excel table format lost in Outlook Using Outlook 6
M Email Format getting changed to Plain Text Using Outlook 1
H Disaster. Management wants to change email format. Exchange Server Administration 9
G Outlook 2013: Getting meeting invites in OWA format Using Outlook 9
S Change answer format Using Outlook 1
R printing custom number of calendar days in weekly view format Using Outlook 1
D outlook 2010 table format lost on send Using Outlook 1
M Save embedded image in native format Using Outlook 6
P Template format not preserved Using Outlook 3
R NUMBER Format Using Outlook 0
M Mail in HTML format can't be sent if url or number is in the body Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
B Changing Calendar format Using Outlook 1
M How can I send a Task Request using vCalender/vTodo format using C# Using Outlook 3
P Outlook send invitation in rtf-format instead of html-format Using Outlook 20