Headache with Hotmail and Outlook since migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenose

Outlook version
Email Account
Hello

I am attempting to configure my desktop Outlook 2007 application with my two Microsoft accounts. One account is a Hotmail account and the other is an Outlook account.

For over three months, since Microsoft migrated both accounts to Microsoft Exchange server, I have not been able to use my desktop application, though I have no problem using the two accounts online.

I understand that only one of the accounts can be used with Exchange and the other should be an IMAP account.

When I launch the desktop application, I see this:

Temporary.jpg

I am not sure where that pop-up has come from or how to remove, but I click on Use Temporary Mailbox. When I do so, these folders load:

Folders.jpg

All of these folders belong to my Hotmail account, while there are no folders in my Outlook account. I should be able to see both accounts there. Both of these accounts and their folders worked fine before the Microsoft migration. In the bottom right-hand corner of the application, with my Hotmail folders on view as above, I see this:

Online.jpg

Does this mean that the Outlook 2007 application thinks that my Hotmail account is my Exchange account and that I should configure my Hotmail account in Control Panel | User | Mail to show that? I ask because at the moment, in Control Panel | User | Mail, I have my Outlook account as the default Exchange account and there is no reference at all to my Hotmail account or to it being my Exchange server account:

EmailAccounts.jpg

The email account you see above is my Outlook account - there is no reference to my Bluenose Hotmail account yet it appears in my Outlook 2007 application while my Outlook account doesn't.

Anyway, I click on Send/Receive in my Outlook 2007 desktop application, and send a 'Test' message, and immediately get 'Not Responding'.

Is this likely to mean that Outlook 2007 is expecting me to nominate my Hotmail account as the default Exchange account in Control Panel | User | Mail and not my Outlook account as I have it now?

Thank you.

Bluenose

PS: For some reason when I save and upload this post, the images are not visible.

The URLs in order are:

http://www.dimadayoub.net/Temporary.jpg
http://www.dimadayoub.net/Folders.jpg
http://www.dimadayoub.net/Online.jpg
http://www.dimadayoub.net/EmailAccounts.jpg

I don't know why the images won't show - i can see them in the email and when i open the editor but not when it's published. :(

Do you have all Office 2007 updates installed? That is a requirement. (You probably do, since it apparently set one up as exchange.)

I solve the error message about old data, delete the data file then restart Outlook. Close Outlook, type or paste %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook into the address bar of Windows Explorer and press Enter. It's easier if you show the file extensions - you want to delete *.ost file used by this account - it should have a modified time as of when you closed outlook.

The following sounds like you have two profiles - if you just have one, it doesn't matter what the profile name is if you plan to add one as an IMAP account. If you have two profile in the Mail applet, then they should be named correctly to avoid confusion.

If you want to add the other account, click New button (see in dialog below) and add the account using the manual option.
Server name: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encryption method: SSL

Does this mean that the Outlook 2007 application thinks that my Hotmail account is my Exchange account and that I should configure my Hotmail account in Control Panel | User | Mail to show that? I ask because at the moment, in Control Panel | User | Mail, I have my Outlook account as the default Exchange account and there is no reference at all to my Hotmail account or to it being my Exchange server account:

EmailAccounts.jpg

Hello Diane

Thank you for your kind reply.

I will work through it step by step.

When you say ' delete the data file', which data file do you mean? Hotmail or Outlook - or both? - and where would I find those?

In an ideal world, I would want my .outlook.com to be my Exchange server account, and my .Hotmail.co.uk account to be the IMAP account.

Thank you again.

Bluenose

When you say ' delete the data file', which data file do you mean? Hotmail or Outlook - or both? - and where would I find those?
Close Outlook, type or paste %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook into the address bar of Windows Explorer and press Enter. The data files are using named for the email address and will have an ost extension. If you haven't added the account to the profile yet, it (obviously) won't have a data file.

I can't recall if Outlook 2007 has 'Open file location' on the menu when you right click on the data file name (Mailbox - your name) - if so, it will open windows Explorer with the ost file selected. Close outlook, delete the file and restart Outlook.

In an ideal world, I would want my .outlook.com to be my Exchange server account, and my .Hotmail.co.uk account to be the IMAP account.
If the wrong account is the Exchange account, close Outlook, open Control panel, mail and delete the profile then add it back - add the one you want as exchange first then set the second one up manually.

Thanks again.

I have got several data (ost) files:

dataFiles.jpg

Should I delete all of them for both email accounts with an ost extention, then restart Outlook and then close it, and then configure both accounts in Control Panel | User | Mail?

i would delete all of the .ost files. Don't delete the . pst files! (Well, the little 256KB ones can go - it's empty.)

So far so good!

I owe you a million thanks after 3 months of headache.

Exchange server works fine - it can send and receive emails.

IMAP (Hotmail account) is a little more tricky as it can't connect to the incoming or outgoing server: Win 10 tells me in a pop-up that 993 is in an offline mode.

I am using the following:

Incoming 993 SSL
Outgoing 25 TLS (Requires authentication)

So I closed Outlook, checked the settings, and restarted. As soon as I restart, I get this:

365.jpg

I type in my password and the pop-up disappears for a second before bouncing back.

You have been a great help! After weeks and weeks of posting on the Microsoft (Outlook) support forum!

Server configure for IMAP:
Server name: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Encryption method: SSL

Outgoing SMTP is
Server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS

You can find these settings in the options dialog under pop/imap at Sign in to your Microsoft account

Yes, I can see those settings in my Hotmail account online, except that in Outlook 2007 (Control Panel | Mail) there are no fields to enter server names. Everything else I have followed to the letter.

I will take another look at it tomorrow (it's gone 5am here!) and post you with the results for future reference.

Again, I am very grateful for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.