moved the Outlook CST file - All subfolders lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVID A

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I decided to move the Microsoft Outlook folder with the CST file in it...
Because I am a massive idiot - I did not think to check first, before moving it
(from My Documents to a deeper location in my folders).

I noticed that when I (tried to) move it, it became duplicated (one folder still in my documents and one in the new location), so I deleted the 'dupe' folder. The remaining (what I thought was the) original folder properties states 58mb in size, which suggests its got not much in it, but the CST file is there...

When I go to my email account in Outlook, all the sub folders I created have disappeared. I only have spam, deleted, sent and archive - All empty.
Im using Outlook 2010 in Windows 7 premium. The account is a pop receive only set up.

HHHHHEEELLLLPPPP!

Indeed the recycle bin, and using Windows Explorer to look in folders; the programs you used are not designed to search for files; especially programs like Elements, which uses a catalog is not what you need now. Moving files confuses PS Elements organiser enough to make it seem like you lost files, while they're actually there. When things go wrong, use the basic tools provided in Windows itself (explorer, search).
For file recovery programs, I've use Software for Recovering Deleted Files on a few occassions; it's free and it works as good as can be expected. The main thing is to stop using the external hard disk until you use this tool, and avoid writing any files to it.

Definitely check the Recycle bin first - if you emptied the recycle bin, you will need to use a file recovery program but the chances of recovery go down as time passes - windows writes to the hard drive and overwrites the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 14
P Outlook 2013 "Item could not be moved - still an issue for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
D iTunes moved Outlook.com Calendar to Delted Items Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
D Outlook Archiving sent emails which have been moved to inbox folders Using Outlook 1
P "Item could not be moved" message occurs frequently for IMAP inbox, Office 365 Using Outlook 0
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
N Item cannot be saved because it was modified by another user or window, and, Item could not be moved... Using Outlook 0
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
C Your mailbox has been temporarily moved ... Using Outlook 2
S Messages moved / deleted by auto-archive are not synchronized to exchange Exchange Server Administration 8
CWM030 Connected accounts mail moved to trash? Exchange Server Administration 16
N Tracking Mail items being moved to folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D Is it possible to automatically send an email when it is moved to a folder? Exchange Server Administration 1
Aussie I Change the Subject Line ... but after it is moved the subject has reverted Using Outlook 1
W Shared inbox sub folders not visible when moved Using Outlook 3
D How to forward each email x minutes after it arrives in inbox and hasn't been moved or deleted? Using Outlook 1
S Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access Using Outlook 3
Stig Arvidsson Need a Script for handling moved mail from inbox Using Outlook 3
Commodore Unified inbox shows moved messages for a while Using Outlook 4
W "You Replied on" Gets Stripped from Emails after they are Moved to Folder Using Outlook 1
S Error 0x80040600 + Cannot move the items. The item cannot be moved . . . Using Outlook 9
Z Mark moved copies as "Read" Using Outlook 19
M Forwarding vCard prompts Send As (From field) on Contacts that were moved Using Outlook 6
M Recover moved mail to task folder Using Outlook 1
S Recovering Tasks moved to Mail folders Using Outlook 3
Forum Admin Can the conector's data file be moved? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
J Parent of moved mailItem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0