Accessing Hotmail accounts with Outlook 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

John98

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I have two Hotmail accounts which I want to access using Outlook 2016. Account A (on hotmail.co.uk) works, account B (on hotmail.com) doesn't. Account A didn't need any configuration - I just used the Auto Account Setup in Outlook, entered my name, e-mail address and password and away it went, sending and receiving just fine. Tried the same for account B: unlike account A’s setup, it asked for login credentials (although I’d already entered a password when configuring the account). After a minute or two it displayed the error “An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available.” I clicked Next, to try unencrypted, but that gave the error “We’re sorry, but we couldn’t set up your account automatically.”

I've tried various suggested manual configurations but none seem to work.

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Was the second account moved to the new outlook.com server? If so, do you know if it was moved within the last 48 hours? It can take that log for all of the dns to update. once its updated, auto account setup should add it as a Microsoft Exchange account.

Thanks for your reply.

Both accounts have the new layout, so I assume that means they're both on the new server. I don't know when that happened, as I don't use them on a daily basis (but the non-working one is nonetheless important).

I doubt this is relevant, but I upgraded from Office 2013 to 2016 today as I thought that might solve the Outlook problem. Sadly, the only tangible effect of the upgrade has been to make the Mail applet crash every time I try to run it, which made deleting my profile a bit fiddly (but thanks for the guide on how to do that, found elsewhere on your impressive website). Oh well - I'll deal with that later.

It sounds like perhaps I should just wait a couple of days, in case I happen to have tried this at just the wrong time. Would you agree ?

Thanks
John

It started working today. I followed exactly the same steps as before to set up the account, but no errors this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Problem Accessing .MSG Property 'ImageNaturalHeight' Tag '0x80010003' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Accessing ALL Outlook contact fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
RBLampert Accessing Outlook accounts from multiple computers Using Outlook 8
E Accessing shared outlook folder doesn't work since switch to new outlook/excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
J Accessing calendar items for Resource Mailboxes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Outlook [Online - Office365] perfomance is getting affected when accessing the mails using Redemptio Using Outlook 1
n2b Accessing Plain Text Draft Without Outlook Using Outlook 3
G Issues with accessing Outlook Contact Picture with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Accessing ExpiryTime property Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Accessing BCM with Excel / Running Reports BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Problem accessing events for folder "username" Server Threw Exception Using Outlook 1
P accessing custom task pane with Outlook ActiveInspector Using Outlook 1
mikecox Accessing Outlook on my Win7 desktop from Win8 laptop Using Outlook 1
A "Unable to display the folder" error when accessing Group mailbox Using Outlook 0
Commodore Accessing mail from multiple devices Using Outlook 1
S Programmatically accessing Outlook Calendar data Using Outlook 1
E Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 2 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
E [SOLVED] Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 1 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
R Accessing folder 'Other Contacts' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Accessing a Form Region from an Inspector Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Accessing a Form Region from an Inspector Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Accessing Global Address List details with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Accessing a control on a frame in Outlook with VBScript Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Programmatically accessing Outlook properties Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K assistant accessing from her home computer BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A Accessing .pst folder in outlook using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Outlook closes when accessing History in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
B Accessing Outlook 2003 Signature Programmatically using C# Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
L Outlook Forms-Accessing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Accessing _RecipientControl1 (Assigned To) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Accessing contact's custom properties in a Outlook 2007 form region Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Outlook custom form - installing and accessing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Daily hours of recurring/ multi-day appts, & accessing mult calend Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R New users creating get page cannot be displayed when accessing OWA Exchange Server Administration 16
Abraham a@hotmail.com; on behalf of; EASI:@yahoo.com Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2013 Possible interference by Telstra ISP with Hotmail Password Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
HarvMan Hotmail - Sending email is undeliverable Using Outlook 4
F My hotmail calendar is not syncing with my outlook but my email is Using Outlook 3
B Headache with Hotmail and Outlook since migration Exchange Server Administration 10
V Hotmail account on Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Check Contacts before moving them to Hotmail Contacts folder Using Outlook 0
A hotmail calendar sync Using Outlook 1
Ascar_CT MS Outlook 2010 with Hotmail connector went spam control nuts Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S Can't login to Hotmail account to use Outlook Using Outlook 2
K Outlook(hotmail)Yahoo problem Using Outlook 6
B Outlook.com (formerly hotmail.com) and sending meeting invitations Using Outlook 1
R Cannot Synchronize Outlook To Windows Live Hotmail Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
P How to fetch ALL (not only Inbox) emails from Hotmail/live server (by POP3)? Using Outlook 1
C forwarding from 365 to hotmail account? Using Outlook 1
P Outlook - Hotmail/Outlook.com issue Using Outlook 3