Outlook 2016 contact issues

Oldmaven

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I recently switched from Outlook 2003 to outlook 2016. Not entirely an improvement!

1) I tend to have only one or two contacts per company. But the Telephone List contacts format (which I prefer) adds a header for each company, which wastes a lot of space. How can I defeat this?

2) For that matter, can I make Telephone list the default format for all contact lists?

3) Since switching over, I have two contacts lists, one marked ("This computer only)"; how do I combine them?

4) Also, in the switchover I lost several sub-folders of contacts. I still have the old .PST; any way to recover these?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
1) Turn off Grouping - this is in view, view settings, group by button., Untick 'automatically group by this field'

2) You can apply it to all contact folders and most of the time outlook will use it, but it will occasionally drop back to the people view. Look on view tab, current view for the option to apply to all folders. But if you only have a couple of folders, it's just as fast just to change the view to that view.

3) This computer only means it is in an imap data file - select all contacts in that folder and drag or move to the other contacts folder. (Do the same for calendar - use a list view in calendar to find them - and tasks. ) After moving them, verify the pst file is set as default data file in file, account settings, data files then select the imap data file and click open folder location. Close outlook, find that ost file and delete it (it should be highlighted in file explorer). Outlook will create a new one without those folders.

Last edited:

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
oops... missed #4 - you can open the old pst in outlook and copy the folders into the current pst or just leave the old pst open in outlook.