Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomohawk

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm totally Confused!!!
I use Outlook to manage all my e-mails (I have 2 outlook.com e-mail addresses and 2 yahoo.com e-mail addresses). I use POP3 - I know, IMAP is better, but just work with this at the moment.

I've just got a new smartphone and I have set up the e-mail accounts on a Samsung mail app. My problem is that every time the account syncs with the server, it downloads ALL the e-mails. I only want it to download the NEW e-mails (since last sync).

Currently all new e-mails are downloaded to my desktop version of Outlook (Office 365) and that is the main tool that I use. My confusion has to do with what happens when the mails are downloaded. Ideally, I would want the following to happen, so I'm looking for multiple configuration assistance (Servers (Outlook & Yahoo)Desktop, Smartphone).

Ideally, I want the following to happen:-
When I open Outlook on my desktop, download all NEW mails (Outlook & Yahoo) from the server.
When I open Mail app on my Smartphone, download all NEW mails (Outlook & Yahoo) from the server.

Can anybody help?

When I open Mail app on my Smartphone, download all NEW mails (Outlook & Yahoo) from the server.
New, as in since outlook downloaded them or new to the device? Outlook desktop leaves mail on the server for 14 days so other devices can down load it. You can change that setting if needed. (File, account settings, double click account then More Settings, Advanced tab.)

2 outlook.com
FWIW, you should set these accounts up as Exchange accounts on both outlook and the device. If you use auto account setup, it will create exchange accounts.

Thanks Diane. I understand your second point, but that might cause other issues, which I won't go into now. For another day.

To simplify the syncing with desktop and phone, lets give a simple example. Lets say there are 10 emails in the mailbox on the server and this is synced with both my desktop Outlook app and my phone (same 10 on all three). Three new e-mails come into the outlook.com server and 5 new e-mails come into the yahoo.com server. What I would like to happen is for the 8 new e-mail to appear on my Outlook desktop app AND also on my phone. The reason for this is that if I'm away from my desktop, it's important that I know of new incoming e-mails and have the ability to view them in case there are any urgent ones. There is the additional question of what happens if I am away from home and I receive the 8 new e-mails to my phone and I delete 3 of them from my phone BEFORE I get home and open up my Outlook desktop app. How many emails will I receive?

To simplify the syncing with desktop and phone, lets give a simple example. Lets say there are 10 emails in the mailbox on the server and this is synced with both my desktop Outlook app and my phone (same 10 on all three). Three new e-mails come into the outlook.com server and 5 new e-mails come into the yahoo.com server. What I would like to happen is for the 8 new e-mail to appear on my Outlook desktop app AND also on my phone. The reason for this is that if I'm away from my desktop, it's important that I know of new incoming e-mails and have the ability to view them in case there are any urgent ones.

You should *get* all 8 on both provided the mail clients are all set to leave mail on the server (its default in outlook since 2010, should be default on the phone) - but if the receive marks them read, the mail clients might not download them because they think the message was downloaded previously - this is hit or miss with mail clients but outlook desktop should handle it correctly as it tracks the last message id downloaded. Best way to check is to turn off one system so mail is only checked using one device then log into the accounts web portal and see if they are marked read (or to confirm they are still on the server). Turn off the first device and open the mail clients on the other device and send/receive. Is mail marked as read or left on server? (It can be helpful if there is more new mail on the server between tests.)

There is the additional question of what happens if I am away from home and I receive the 8 new e-mails to my phone and I delete 3 of them from my phone BEFORE I get home and open up my Outlook desktop app. How many emails will I receive?

Assuming you have the accounts all configured as POP3-
On this, it depends on the phones setting. Outlook desktop has a setting to delete mail from server when deleted from outlook. If this is used, and you delete in outlook, then it will be deleted from the server and not downloaded later to the phone. If the phone has a similar setting and you delete mail from the phone, it will be deleted from the server and not available in outlook.

If you use imap on any or all devices and delete a message in one place it will be deleted from the server and from the other device (if it is also using imap).

Status
Not open for further replies.