What is the best way to back up pst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I've watched a video here as to backing up Outlook 2013, which I think takes in email addresses, different email addresses and their sub directories. That video is here ...

My question is, am I understanding that video correctly in what I've stated above and is this the best way to backup Outlook 2013? It's going into the Registry and copying My Profiles to say, another Drive, such as an External Drive or a Thumbdrive. Also am I correct in assuming this does take in my various email addresses, the email folders and their sub directories? Oh do please advise. Thanks.

If you export the profile keys, it includes the account setup, other than the passwords. You need to copy the data files and other support files separately.

Note that we don't recommend exporting the profile keys for use on a different computer as they contain values that point to the current computer's user account. You can use it as a backup if you need to reset the current computer though. What to backup in Outlook 2013 and newer

I've never followed these rules for backing up email accounts, directories and subdirectories and email addresses. It seems some places one reads, it simply states to go to the Export Import in Outlook and export the pst file and import it should Outlook explode or crash. Then others are saying do not do it that way. My question remains, why does Microsoft put that in the program itself if it is not the best way to do it.
You mention about copying the data files and other files ... what other files? I've not read the link you've given me yet but it looks like a long scroll, almost too much to take in. Tell me what's in that is simple and easy or is there just a more simple way for us simple minded folk? The exporting of the Registry keys would be for another computer of mine, so shouldn't that be ok?Thanks for the reply by the way.

to go to the Export Import in Outlook and export the pst file
The main reason for not doing this is that it doesn't include hidden data - rules, custom views, custom forms. It also changes the last modified date, which can affect archiving, and can mess up meeting requests. If you leave mail on the server, it may (not always though), keep the old mailbox manager file so you don't download duplicates. You may not use any of these, so no big deal... but it's usually a lot easier to find the pst and copy it (with outlook closed).

Other files would include custom ribbon and qat (for all office apps), custom dictionary, signatures, custom templates & stationery, macros.
The exporting of the Registry keys would be for another computer of mine, so shouldn't that be ok?
There are values that uses the computer name/ id and the user path - C:\users\username\... if the username is the same on both, you'll have fewer problems but the computer name may still be an issue. Exporting other settings from the registry - like options- is fine. It's only the profile that can cause problems.

You can try it, and if outlook acts goofy, make a new profile and point the accounts to the old pst files.

As usual Diane, you always make sense. Appreciate the explanation. You're light years ahead of most, so from where I sit (or stand) it might be best if you and your family were living next door! Thank you so much for your expertise! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
X Best utility for repairing PST files? Using Outlook 3
J Best way to move form old to new, larger pst? Using Outlook 2
cheapfaremart Which outlook version is best? Using Outlook 0
Horsepower What is best calendar practice for iMac Using Outlook 3
J What is the best EntryID format to set on MS Access table Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Best configuration for Outlook 2016, Gmail and iCloud Using Outlook 8
P Outlook room resource calendars and best practices Exchange Server Administration 0
Diane Poremsky The Best Outlook Store Add-ins Contest Using Outlook 0
Patrick van Berkel Best way to share (and keep up-to-date) Macro's in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
oliv- Best practice for catching mailitem.events Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M What is the best way to find all records of an e-mail for our company? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Best approach for restarting custom task form development after seemingly corrupt form environment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Best method to use Outlook Standalone with iPhone Using Outlook 13
D a suggestion ...sent with the best intentions Using Outlook 1
B What is the best way to use Outlook address book to select customer and then open Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
M How best to track OUTGOING referrals? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M best duplicate contact remover? Using Outlook 6
jobudge Reinstalled Outlook 2013 after system crash what is best way to synch with gmail? Using Outlook 1
M Best way to identify/designate contacts in incoming emails? Using Outlook 4
P Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail? Using Outlook 1
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
O What are best practices for a re-install Office 13 w/BCM with OS re-install BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G what is the best way to organize outlook contacts Using Outlook 1
D What would be the best strategy? Using Outlook 3
crazyboy BCM Installation Best Practices? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
M Best way to move outlook? Using Outlook 1
R Best way to share outlook calendar with 10 laptops Using Outlook 9
B Best way to get a pick-list on a form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Best way to distribute VBA project Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Is Explorer.FolderSwitch the best event for hiding commandbarbutton? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2007 / Vista / Windows XP best combo needed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C Form Region, Task Pain, Ribbon Extension - which way is best? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Recommendation for PST repair program Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 365 Bad experience with KernelAPPS PST Repair program Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
S Import PST to Office 365 Using Outlook 1
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Kernel Outlook .pst viewer Using Outlook 3
G Outlook Express (DBX) to Outlook (PST) Conversion Software Wanted Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5