Status
Not open for further replies.

John471

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Dear Outlook Experts,

Is it possible to access and asses the content of a User Defined Field when creating/editing an Outlook Rule?

I have a third party integration that creates many email items, placing them into a dedicated inbox. The external system populates certain useful data into User Defined Fields (UDFs) for each item. I would like to better manage these mail items by automatically filing them in certain folders using Outlook Rules, however I would like to use/assess the content of the UDF's when deciding where/if to file an item.

e.g. I would like to add a Rule Condition along the lines of "where UDF 'School' = 'SomeSchool'"

Is this possible? if so, please explain how.

Thanks.

John

it's not possible in standard rules but you could use a run a script rule. You should also check out Auto-mate addin for outlook - i don't know if it supports UDF, but if it does, the ROI would be high, especially if you need a lot of rules or your VBA is not strong.

That's what I was afraid of. My VBA is not too shabby, however my experience with / knowledge of the Outlook object model is rather limited at this point in time. Guess I may have to roll my sleeves up and get my hands dirty...

Thank you for your reply.

Outlook's Rules and Alerts: Run a Script

Actually, if they are in a folder that is not your accounts inbox, you need to use itemadd macros.
How to use an ItemAdd Macro

I thought i had a macro that shows how to read the fields, but i don't see it.

If you have a lot of different folders (or the software generates new values), if at all possible, use the custom field value as the folder name. Otherwise, use an array or select case. (Array might be more efficient.)
Using Arrays in Outlook macros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Search Email Header for Content Type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
icacream content in this message could not be downloaded.... Using Outlook 2
semnaitik Is it possible to recover content from a 0KB PST file? Using Outlook 3
Ms_Cynic Auto-pasting email content in calendar appt? Using Outlook 2
GregS What controls content of Folder Pane? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 message content does not display - outlook.com; exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
K ind specific Subject line from outlook and copy the content of the email body to exce Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O How to paste website content using a specific font and removing URLs Using Outlook 2
M Problems Downloading Content from Server(s) Using Outlook 0
N Rename Subject Line with Email Content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N Paste content to Excel when .txt file (attachment) is opened Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Contacts 2016 Web page address content lost after updates Using Outlook 2
H Macro to Copy Specific content from Mail Body and Paste to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Randy Redekopp Outlook 2016 attachment content search Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M How to duplicate content of one field in another field? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Z alter the timeout for how long outlook looks for a content-server on an HTML-email? Using Outlook 5
H Rule to move emails based on subject and content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Can BCM monitor and select specific emails and use content info to update the client's record? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Duplicate Attachments in Content.Outlook Using Outlook 4
D Create Exchange Rule for everyone that highlights an email based on content of subject Exchange Server Administration 1
O Copy email content and paste into new Word Document using a different font Using Outlook 1
G Content Lost From Draft, Returns Upon Refocus? Using Outlook 0
G Outlook Intermittent Issue with Drafts not Displaying Entire Content Using Outlook 4
J Need Help Extracting Email Content into Excel Specifically the Attachment Name Using Outlook 3
R catalog Content Index failed-Unable to mount database.(hr=0x80004005,ec=-501) Exchange Server Administration 0
R Content occcasionally deleted email message is dragged to shared folder Exchange Server Administration 1
dolke Strange Outlook behavior when receiving emails. More info in the content... Using Outlook 7
R Issue in Mail content on my outlook Using Outlook 1
C Create a rule to only check new content in email - disregard original content Using Outlook 3
M IMAP header/content mismatch! Using Outlook 4
T Can not change email body content on Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook: Get Image Content ID from existing email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
K Copy Entire Email Content - Paste into new Task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Create Auto eMail with Web table Content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U Notify on attachment content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A html content of mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U Moving Email to Folder Depending on content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D Lifelong Windows user - new to Mac - Help!!! Using Outlook 3
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro GoTo user defined search folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
W OL giving basic auth when logged in to Win as specific user Using Outlook 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 How to get a Photo in a User Defined Contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to send an Email Template from User Defined Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Edit contact from email does not open the user defined contactform Using Outlook 3
Witzker Set Cursor & Focus from any field to the body of a user Contact form in OL 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker Place cursor at opening, a user defined OL contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
ill13 Prepend the user's computer name to the subject. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J VBA Cannot programmatically input or change Value for User Defined field Using Outlook 1
Z Import Tasks from Access Using VBA including User Defined Fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
icacream Outlook 2016 “Enter your user name and password for the following server.” Using Outlook 5