Shortcut for attaching the same file repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJL

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
I frequently attach one specific file to outgoing messages (i.e., it is the same file every time). I am looking for a short cut for doing this. I have already put the attach-file command on the quick access bar. Unfortunately, I do not want to put the text into the body of the message because it contains images, so Quick Steps doesn't help me.

Ideally, I'd like to click an icon or use a keyboard shortcut to attach this file. I am using Outlook 2013 with Windows 10.

Can you use a macro? i have some here - although they are a bit more than you need but could trim the middle out to make it perfect to open a message with the file attached.
Use a Macro to Attach Files to New Messages

But.. you have to think to run the macro and it doesn't help if you reply with attachment (although a macro could do that too) It might be better to have a macro that adds the attachment to the message you are composing when you run it - like this simple macro - run it any time you are composing a message to add the attachment.

Code:
Public Sub AddAttachment()
    Dim objItem As Object
   Set objItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem

strAtt = "D:\path\to\file.docx"
    objItem.Attachments.Add strAtt

Set objItem = Nothing

End Sub

A macro would be fine. However, I have not used macros before, though I have tried to create a macro to solve this problem by creating a macro by recording a sequence of steps. It didn't work.

What does the macro below do? Is there a place you can point me to that would show me how to install the macro?

Actually, in some cases I will attach the file when replying to messages as well as when composing a new message.

Thanks for your help.

Can you use a macro? i have some here - although they are a bit more than you need but could trim the middle out to make it perfect to open a message with the file attached.
Use a Macro to Attach Files to New Messages

But.. you have to think to run the macro and it doesn't help if you reply with attachment (although a macro could do that too) It might be better to have a macro that adds the attachment to the message you are composing when you run it - like this simple macro - run it any time you are composing a message to add the attachment.

Code:
Public Sub AddAttachment()
    Dim objItem As Object
   Set objItem = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem

strAtt = "D:\path\to\file.docx"
    objItem.Attachments.Add strAtt

Set objItem = Nothing

End Sub

A macro would be fine. However, I have not used macros before, though I have tried to create a macro to solve this problem by creating a macro by recording a sequence of steps. It didn't work.

What does the macro below do? Is there a place you can point me to that would show me how to install the macro?

Actually, in some cases I will attach the file when replying to messages as well as when composing a new message.

Thanks for your help.

The macro I posted will work on any compose message (new or replies) - but you need to click a button to run it. It's not automatic.

This shows how to use macros How to use Outlook's VBA Editor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The macro works! However, I'm having trouble finding the file that needs to be digitally signed. What is the filename?

if you are digitally signing the macro, you will sign the entire macro project through the vb editor, not sign a specific file.

Thanks for the quick response. I mis-read the instructions on the VBA editor, re-checked and figured out my mistake.
Thanks for all your help. This did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J disable Alt+S shortcut Using Outlook 21
J PSA: How to create custom keyboard shortcut for "Paste Unformatted Text" in Outlook on Windows Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook 2016 A Shortcut to recall and delete and sent message. Using Outlook 1
P Shortcut Pane - add shortcut to Office365 group mailbox Using Outlook 1
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 6
N Outlook Email Rule execution through shortcut keys (VBA codes) Using Outlook 1
M Shortcut to another outlook item Using Outlook 0
M Contact group shortcut Using Outlook 3
R Toggle the Reading Pane using Keyboard Shortcut Using Outlook 0
S Shortcut/button to a Calendar Group Using Outlook 0
M Mark Complete keyboard shortcut... on a mac running Windows Bootcamp Using Outlook 0
B Can't create shortcut to Quickparts Using Outlook 3
iwshim word shortcut to search outlook Using Outlook 3
O Address Book Shortcut Using Outlook 4
M Trouble using keyboard shortcut for color categories in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
S Desktop shortcut Using Outlook 1
Q shortcut to more stationery Using Outlook 4
A Shortcut for sending complete mail Using Outlook 1
I jump to body in open message with one keyboard shortcut? Using Outlook 3
T Column Header Keyboard Shortcut Available? Using Outlook 5
D VBA: Send-From Code for Template Shortcut? Using Outlook 0
D Selection of Send-From Account with Template VBA Shortcut Using Outlook 0
W keyboard shortcut to open Outlook... ? Using Outlook 2
S OL 2010 shortcut to edit received mail Using Outlook 3
L Shortcut to specific contact Using Outlook 4
C Want to Create Shortcut to Open Specific Calendars at the Same Time Using Outlook 2
T Is it possible to INSERT a string into email body via Shortcut. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M re-Attaching PSTs after upgrade to 2016 Using Outlook 0
P Outlook Randomly Not attaching (attachment file) Using Outlook 0
D Attaching date named files Using Outlook 3
L Creating a Task from Email and Attaching Original Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D Attaching email conversations to tasks Using Outlook 2
A Attaching mail items in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J Attaching Files to Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Tab Order Out of Sequence After Attaching Document Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H attaching e-mails to new e-mail using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook 2021 Having problem setting up outlook 2021 with windows 11. I have 3 gmail accounts and I want the 3 gmail, emails to merge into the same outlook input. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
E Outlook - eliminate same adresses from to, and bc line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Same email address, same person, names in so many ways Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
A Two Inboxes, Same Email? Using Outlook 3
R Disable conversation thread from replying of recipients in the same subject. Please help Using Outlook 0
jChambler iCloud folders in Outlook are not the same as on iCloud Using Outlook 6
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
M Same file "stuck" on top of file list in "Attach File" drop down Using Outlook 4
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
P Desktop doesn't index Outlook IMAP files, laptop Outlook does index those same IMAP files Using Outlook 2
N Move emails of same conversation to same subfolder Using Outlook 6
S Received mail as part of DL, need to auto-CC the same when replying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5