Outlook 2016 Not Default Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Every time I reboot my computer and start Outlook 2016 for the first time, I get this error message. I've researched extensively to find the problem, but nothing I've done matters. The problem has been there since Day One of the installation. Outlook 2016 is the 32-bit version on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system. No other email client is installed on the system, including Thunderbird, which seems to cause problems. Suggestions? Thanks!

patlaw

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
It's troubling that 57 people have viewed this post so far, and no one has any suggestions. Obviously this problem is not very widespread.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, it's not widespread... i actually haven't seen this problem in a couple of years, and it was usually associated with a 3rd party application that used outlook but couldn't find it.

What is listed in the registry for these keys?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\Mail
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

HKCU value should override the one one in HKLM, which is used for new users or if HKCU is empty.

My HKLM has
"PreFirstRun"="Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.*Microsoft Office Outlook"
@="Microsoft Outlook"

while HKCU has only
@="Microsoft Outlook"

if you untick 'perform this check', does another program try to take over as default? Does it cause any other issues?

patlaw

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
No, it's not widespread... i actually haven't seen this problem in a couple of years, and it was usually associated with a 3rd party application that used outlook but couldn't find it.

What is listed in the registry for these keys?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\Mail
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
Hi, Diane. Thanks for taking the time to try to help.

My HKLM has Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail.

HKCU value should override the one one in HKLM, which is used for new users or if HKCU is empty.

My HKLM has
"PreFirstRun"="Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.*Microsoft Office Outlook"
@="Microsoft Outlook"

while HKCU has only
@="Microsoft Outlook"
My HKCU has only "Microsoft Outlook".

if you untick 'perform this check', does another program try to take over as default? Does it cause any other issues?
I haven't tried that, but I will. Maybe that step will point to the offender.

Status
Not open for further replies.