Importing Ribbons Not Saved

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I was using Outlook 2010 and just moved to Outlook 2016 (using Office 365). In both versions, I created custom ribbons for my contacts, tasks, editing emails, reading emails, opening screen and tasks. I exported the ribbons to a file so I can have them for future use.

In both 2010 and 2016 the ribbons I created revert back to default ribbons. How and when it happens I do not know. It is random. It happens to all the custom ribbons. For example, my custom contact ribbon would be OK and then when I open another contact the custom ribbon had been replaced. I import the custom ribbon again and go through the same process.

I have tried repair, new profile, reset the ribbons, etc. No matter what I do, eventually I lose my custom imported ribbons.

Am I just miss-understanding the use of custom ribbons?

Thank you for your time.

Shawn

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
i don't think you misunderstand anything... but i have noticed they are not stable when using the UI files on other computers (not the import of an exported backup). I back that folder up with Mozy and had to recover files many times. I finally gave up and made a new ribbon and so far, it seems to be ok.

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Diane:

Thank you.

When you say "made a new ribbon", may I ask what you mean?

For the ribbons I created, I open "Customize the Ribbon" and uncheck everything, I then create a new tab with groups under that tab. I add in the commands I want and then export my settings to a file. I then click OK to start using my custom settings. It works OK for a bit, but then it reverts back. I then import my custom ribbon and go through the same process again where the ribbon reverts and I import my exported settings.

When you say "made a new ribbon", is there a different approach since you noted it seems to be working OK.

Shawn

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Diane:

I keep trying different things in Outlook 2016 but my imported ribbon never stays around long. You noted above you had some luck creating a new ribbon.

I had provided my steps in my previous reply, but the custom ribbons just do not stay around. I have to keep importing them.

Are you doing something different when you noted "I finally gave up and made a new ribbon and so far, it seems to be ok."

Thank you.

Shawn

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Diane:

In your initial reply on August 25, you noted
I finally gave up and made a new ribbon and so far, it seems to be ok.
May I ask how you created your new ribbon. Maybe I'm just missing a step since each time I access ribbons, customize, export it to save, it never sticks. I continually need to import the exported ribbon.

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Diane

Do you know if there was any change with the ribbons? No matter how many times I create a new ribbon, it does not stick. I create it, export it, and multiple times I need to import again just to go through the same process again.

Shawn

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
When i make a ribbon, it sticks, mostly. I discovered restoring the customui file instead of importing the ribbon tended to break things. Are you using a user account or an administrator account?

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Diane:

Thank you. I've always just exported/imported the custom file through the "Customize the Ribbon" dialog. I am an Admin on my W10 machine.