Open attachment, manipulate without add-on program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Quirl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Can all this be done with Outlook vba and/or Excel vba without installing an add-on program? If all of these steps cannot be accomplished, please specify which ones are the problem to facilitate my trip back to the drawing board.

1. recognize email source
2. open pdf attachment
3. select all
4. copy
5. open Excel
6. paste (dump) into A1
7. depending on the email source, save excel document .xlxs into a specified folder (outlook or a shared drive)
8. close the excel document (excel program can stay open or not)
9. close the pdf document
10. move the email into a specified folder in outlook

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
1. assuming source = email address, yes
2. yes
3. possibly. You'd need to open the pdf in word - if not, the pdf program needs to support vba (acrobat does but i don't know if it can do all that).
4. see 3
5. yes
6. yes
7. yes, as long as it's not too complicated. the fewer paths to store, the better.
8. yes
9. possibly.
10 yes

Andrew Quirl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
3. possibly. You'd need to open the pdf in word - if not, the pdf program needs to support vba (acrobat does but i don't know if it can do all that).
4. see 3

I only have the basic reader. Why Word? When I manually open the .pdf in Reader, keyboard CTRL+A/CTRL+C gets the data dump onto the clipboard.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You can't control the pdf using vba - you can control word; acrobat supports VBA but i don't know the extent. (2013 and 2016 can open it, not sure about 2010. )

Without this support, you'd need to use send keys, which can be really clunky and buggy. Copying from word would be the easier. if the pdf is plain text, it should render ok in word - tables can be a problem though.

Andrew Quirl

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
I'm not concerned about the table formatting loss. Are you saying Outlook vba can open the .pdf straight into Word instead of into Reader? Or open into Reader and then export to Word?

Status
Not open for further replies.