Outlook 2016 Outlook 2016 Not Closing

patlaw

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
For some reason, Outlook 2016 now doesn't close fully when I exit it. I have to force quit it. Naturally, I've followed all of the recommendations I can find including disabling all Add-Ins, which makes not difference. If I start Outlook in the safe mode, the problem is not there. The only other problem that popped up about the same time, although I'm not sure they are related, is that my iCloud email account will not log in.

When I scanned the PST file, an error was found, but it was repaired. What else can I check?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
if it works in Safe mode, then it is either an addin or an other program that accesses outlook data. (For me, its usually skype causing problems.)

On the icloud email- apple requires 2-factor authentication if you aren't using apple apps. This means you need to use an app password in outlook. If you use icloud (for calendar & contact sync) and icloud adds the account to outlook, it should work ok without 2-factor on. its hard to say for sure if this keeping outlook open when you try to close it... i wouldn't bet either way.

patlaw

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Thanks, Diane. I think you're right on the money. Since I couldn't get the iCloud account to authenticate with Outlook (logging in with webmail is no problem), I removed the account completely. The problem appears to be solved. I should have known it was an Apple problem.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
They are just trying to make you secure your account.... except that their implementation of 2-factor is bad. It's a PITA if you have more than one apple device.