Copying Outlook Account Setup For Desktop App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomohawk

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I use Outlook 2016 for my e-mail (I have 2 outlook addresses and 2 yahoo addresses). I also use POP3 (I know, I should be using IMAP, but that conversation is for another day).

When I'm travelling I simply copy my .pst files from my home PC to my notebook and off I go. When I return, I copy back to my home PC.

My notebook recently crashed and I have had to restart. Is there a way that I can "copy" my Outlook 2016 setup for my accounts and data files from one computer to another? See attachment.

Attachments

• Outlook.JPG
    Outlook.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 499
You can export the registry, but because the computer names aren't the same, it tends to error on the data files. (All of the path names are in binary, so you can't search and replace in the exported registry key either. ).

You *can* export it, then before opening the profile on the new machine, go to Control panel, mail and remove the data file(s) and add them back from the correct location then make sure the accounts are pointed to them. Also, if the pst is stored in the same spot on both computers, such as C:\OutlookPSTs, you'll have less problems.

oh, in case you don't know where the profile is in the registry - in 2016, its at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles

Hi, I decided to set up manually rather than via the Registry, BUT I've run into problems. When it came to the section where I needed to point the newly created e-mail account to the (existing) .pst file, the "browse" button would not work. I was able to proceed by manually inserting location of the file. I also have a "Personal Folders" .pst file, but I could not add this data file. I got an error 0x80004001

The error is a bug - you need to add additional data files after the account is added.

If the pst file name is the same as the email address and is in the outlook files folder under documents, it will pick it up automatically.

I'm not sure I understand Diane. I use anm additional .pst called "Personal Folders".

It us used to store e-mails that I wish to keep for records (I don't like leaving in mu Inbox, so either delete or move to my Personal Folders".

I have set up my e-mail accounts in Outlook (4 of them) and everything works fine. It will NOT, however, allow me to add a new data file for "Personal Folders" (which I would do by pointing to an already existing .pst file. I simply get this error.

Not being able to browse to search for my files is also a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
Paul Butticaz Copying Contacts from SharePoint List (connected to Outlook) to another Conacts folder Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2010 Not responding after IMAP folder deletion or copying. Using Outlook 2
Mary B Outlook 2013: Rule for copying new email to folder & marking that copy as read Using Outlook 1
S Calendar items are not being uploaded to outlook.com after copying Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
P open reminders missing after copying outlook pst file Using Outlook 2
O New to Outlook 2013, dealing with copying vs. moving sent items Using Outlook 0
D Copying POP3 folders from Inbox to IMAP Inbox in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 0
N error when copying outlook data "can not copy: the path too deep" Using Outlook 6
N Copying outlook macros between pcs Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Copying email address(es) in body of email and pasting in To field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
R VBA for copying sent email to current folder under a shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
E Copying the whole e-mail body into excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Copying data from e-mail attachement to EXCEL file via macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 38
Thiago Manzano Copying E-mails to a folder on HD Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Mark Sent Items as Read After Copying with a Rule Using Outlook 0
crazyboy Copying BCM database from backed up mounted image to new drive BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
oliv- Prevent copying shared contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Copying Emails using drag and drop Using Outlook 2
S Recover messages that disappeared when copying to folder Using Outlook 1
S Copying multiple messages to folders and keeping date/time detail Using Outlook 1
M Copying setups for mutiple users Using Outlook 2
T Location and simple copying of emails and settings, OL 2010 and Win 7 64bit. Using Outlook 3
A Copying additional contact fields when chosing "Contact from the same company" Using Outlook 5
A Copying cc email addresses to Excel - does not copy the <joe.bloggs@isp.com> Using Outlook 1
S Search Indexing (Copying Folders) Using Outlook 0
E Copying multiple folders to PST Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Copying data between atbs in a custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R copying a custom view from a public folder and distributing programatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Copying Data from Exchange to PST file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Copying contents from one field to another field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0