When I add more search strings to RULES, it is not processing them

Bruce Johnson

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I am trying to create rules that process spam and I have built up a list of different strings and have been adding the to a rule.
Now when I add more strings, it does not process the new strings. I thought, ok, there might be a max, so I create a NEW rule to add the new strings to, but it is not processing them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Bruce

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
how many rules do you have? POP3 supports a lot of rules, Outlook.com & Exchange, not as many - less than 100 if the rules have a lot of conditions.

it's more likely that outlook can't find the string. spammers can be tricky and use HTML tags to hide the strings - rules look at the raw body, not what you see on the screen.

or... its a problem with the rules engine. The junk mail filtering function has been messed up from updates this summer, its possible that has also affected rules.

Bruce Johnson

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I can put the same string in the search bar and it finds it.... I have deleted a bunch of old rules trying to resolve this, but I still have a lot (80)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
80 is a lot, but i don't think its too much... (that many is hard to manage, but that's a different problem)

where in the list is the 'bad' rule? Try moving it to the top of the list. (The ones that apply to more messages should be on top.)

Do you use Stop processing? This is recommended - as soon as a message meets the conditions, it is processed and the rest of the rules aren't checked against it. Outlook moves on to the next message. This, along with the rules order, makes it more efficient for outlook, especially with a heavy load of mail and lots of rules. If outlook has a lot of messages to process, it may skip processing some to clear the backlog.

How many different phrases are in the rule?
How many messages come in with each mail check?

do you use any of the built in junk mail filtering? That could help lighten the load on rules.