Spell Checker Changes -- Not as Predictive as Previously

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJH 10

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have an Office 365 subscription with the "always update" settings and using Outlook 2016.

Several weeks ago, it seemed to install a major update--at least I got a pop-up asking if I wanted to learn what was new. Since that update, the Spell Checker does not seem to work the same. I am a horrible speller (engineer) and I type fast with errors and then right click all my red squiggles to correct.

With this last update, there are two things I notice. First, the box with suggestions comes up much slower--I would call it laggy. I notice there are now definitions included for the suggested replacement. Second, the replacement suggestions are not as "smart." I don't have data, but I would find the word I wanted 99% of the time in the suggestions--now that percentage is down to mabye 75%. I do not think my typing has gotten worse--maybe, but I doubt it.

Anyone else notice these changes?

This is the new spellcheck dialog. I've been using it for so long that I don't recall it being slower than the old dialog (and there was at least one dialog between the old and new), but because it does more it probably is slower.

I have noticed that it seems to be dumber and doesn't offer the right suggestions. It used to do pretty good at guessing when the first letter was wrong - lately it only offers words that begin with that letter.

spell-check.png

Thank you Diane. Relief to find out that the new speller checker is dumber and it is not I!

I totally concur, the suggestions are no where close to what my intended word is--the old version was much "smarter."

I guess the work around is to become a better speller--but that can not happen--would ruin my repustation!

Lol. Yeah, being a better speller is not an option these days. When office can’t decipher what I mean, I type it into google. I usually have a better luck there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M spell checker insanity Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A how to disable spell checker Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Spell check Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Spell-check dictionary confusion Using Outlook 0
C Unusual Signature & Spell Check Query Using Outlook 1
O Maker Checker - Colleague to authorise attachment Using Outlook 0
P Compatibility Checker Message in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
J Attachment file size checker Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Appointment font size when printing only changes Tasks' font Using Outlook 0
V Latest Changes to form not appearing for some users Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T How to deal with Upcoming GMAIL changes Using Outlook 2
O Unable to make changes to an existing Calendar entry Using Outlook 11
C Tracking Calendar Changes? Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2019 UI changes after 20H2 update Using Outlook 1
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Form style totally changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P OWA Settings->Calendar->Events from Email; Setting changes do not hold Using Outlook 1
W Message class changes of a custom form changes to the default form Using Outlook 2
D Outlook Message Window Changes Size and Position Using Outlook 1
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
P Account Changes Using Outlook 4
Dave A Run macro on existing appointment when it changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Outlook - cannot save subject line changes Using Outlook 2
T Incoming Mail Changes Fonts Using Outlook 0
Cdub27 Your changes to this item couldn't be saved because Server Denied Operation (HTTP 403 Forbidden) Using Outlook 1
M receive mail when appointment category changes and create task from appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark Foley Outlook prompts for IMAP user/PW when domain PW changes Using Outlook 0
K outlook 2010 changes text tab position when sending Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2013 not syncing changes to outlook.com account calendar? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
M Display as name in outlook contacts changes Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2010/IMAP - Restoring from system tray changes to unused ibox.... Using Outlook 1
H "Normal" Style Changes When Replying Using Outlook 4
D Connecting to Exchange changes calendar functionality Exchange Server Administration 1
airtas oft templates not sending changes Using Outlook 2
T outlook cal for mac changes times of recurring meetings on its own Using Outlook 1
james27_84 Outlook 2013 not synching changes to server Using Outlook 6
J Local Outlook 2013 folder and message changes not synced with EAS to Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
R People View Changes during search Using Outlook 2
C Reports always ask 'Would you like to save your changes?' BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
erichamion Changes to meeting body not properly saving Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T The Formatting Changes When A Recurring Appointment is Changed Using Outlook 1
Hudas Outlook VBA script reverting back to previous changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Monitor any changes to a sub-folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Outlook prompts to save attachments when no changes have been made. Using Outlook 0
E Saving Changes To Edited E-Mail Received Message Using Outlook 0
B Contact changes from Personal to Shared when opening custom form Using Outlook 0
C Disabling "Do you want to save changes?" Meeting Popup? Using Outlook 0
X Outlook 2007+ Changing signature also changes subject? Using Outlook 9
C Dates changes to 1899 when Tab key hit in Time... Using Outlook 3
J From column changes when message is read Using Outlook 1