• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to display sender's name instead of email address in outlook 2013 message

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Hi,
I use outlook professional 2013 and there's an email group account PI_team <PI_team@mycompany.com>. Me and my colleagues were set up to receive the mail when someone sends to this group mail. I have also Jira configured to send mails upon issues via mail server. Sender's email address is the PI_team@mycompany.com. When I got mail from the jira in my outlook I see the sender is PI_team. If I open the internet header of the message I see From: "Ivan Rodrigo (JIRA)" <PI_team@mycompany.com>

I would like to see "Ivan Rodrigo (JIRA)" instead of "PI_team", and if I click on it to display the actual email address -> PI_team@mycompany. The perfect would be a rule that filters only the incoming mails from the PI_team.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ivanhou

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I would like to see "Ivan Rodrigo (JIRA)" instead of "PI_team",
that is not possible - best you could do is 'ivan sent on behalf of pl_team' format, if you have send on behalf permission.
The perfect would be a rule that filters only the incoming mails from the PI_team.
there is a rule condition for from address or group that should work.

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Hi Diane,
Do you think it is possible to retrieve the sender's name from the internet headers with a rule "run a script" and to display it somehow? (instead of the name from the contact list - PI_team).

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
if the name is in the header or in a mapi property, yes, a run a script macro could grab it. you cant change the display name, but could add it to a new field or a category, follow up field (would show above the subject in the message, but would add a flag).

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Hi Diane,
In your first reply you said " 'ivan sent on behalf of pl_team' format, if you have send on behalf permission". Ok, let's say somehow PI_team delegate access to me. The problem is that Jira sends mail via smtp server using fixed sender email address : PI_team@mycompany.com. Do you have any idea what to set up to receive mail from "ivan sent obo PI_team"?