Using email notification to update calendar events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Frechette

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hello everyone and Thank You for your time.

I'm seek for a way to use email notifications that I receive in Outlook 2016, to automatically update event titles in a shared Outlook calendar, that will occur within a 7-14 days period from the date received.

I have filters setup to place the notification into a specific folder in my account. The shared calendar contains all reoccurring events that I’m looking to update the event titles of.

Currently I am manually doing the following: When a notification arrives, I switch to the calendar, find the event then pre-append an envelope (✉) symbol to the event title (but not the entire series). This is a visual indication to others, that share the calendar, an email notification was received for that particular event.

Email notifications are sent out (typically 7-14 in advance of the scheduled calendar event) from a preventive maintenance system as work orders. The work orders are identified by a TE-number. The same TE-number is also used in the calendar event title. I’m seeking to update the current event, of the series, programmable.

TE-number also has an interval identification as a suffixes: W, BW, M, BM, SA, SA-1, SA-2 and A.

Previous attempts to do this on my own just aren't working, so I'm looking to starting over. I have some familiarity with VBA, just need a basic framework to get me going in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Email Notifications
upload_2018-1-13_9-9-33.png

Calendar Events
upload_2018-1-13_9-10-33.png

it sounds like the emails are formatting something like the sample here - Create Appointment From Email Automatically - in this case, the macro creates a new item. It needs to do a lookup of the calendar using Find or Restrict then update the event.

The email notifications are actual emails, not meeting updates, correct? When you receive the email notification, does the appointment already exist?

I was going to work on a macro to update but it would really work best if the email can be identified as an update to a previous event - otherwise the macro would need to search the calendar every time a specifically formatted message arrived. Reducing the # of searches would be the better option.

Yes, they are emails and the events are already scheduled as a series of recurring events.
Both the email subject and event title are identified by the specific TE-number.

In my previous attempts, I could not figure out how to update specific calendar events without changing the calendar series.

You need to find the series and get the exception - it takes a bit more code. I don’t have code samples that edit an occurrence, only code to find the series and get each date within it, but I think there are some samples at msdn. I’m on my iPad right now and can’t play with any right now though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Email not leaving Outbox when using Excel VBA to sync Outlook account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Add an Attachment Using an Array and Match first 17 Letters to Matching Template .oft to Send eMail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Using a VBA Custom Form to Send Reoccurring Email Upon Task Completion Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L Using alpha numeric in email address Using Outlook 5
Sabastian Samuel HOW DO I FORWARD AN EMAIL WITH MACRO using an email that in the body of another email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Forward Outlook Email by Filtering using Macro Rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 44
H Change Default Email Account Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Using Outlook with Yahoo email Using Outlook 6
U Using VBA to creat hyperlinks in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Outlook 2007 Email Categorization using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D send email from Excel using outlook template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky How to Send Email When Traveling or Using Public Wi-Fi Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Create a Task from an Email using a Rule Using Outlook 0
J Unable to link email messages in BCM using a single microsoft office 365 account in outlook 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
H send reminder if no reply received on first or original email using macro Using Outlook 2
S Using iCLoud Contacts for Outlook Email Using Outlook 1
T Using a macro to send email to diffrent address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Editing an email with notes and saving it for record using Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D forward email with attachment using .oft Using Outlook 3
L Using Forwarded Email as Default Using Outlook 4
S Can't send messages using Outlook 2007 from a business email Using Outlook 3
T using IMAP with a single email account on two or more computers Using Outlook 3
B Auto reply using macro include original email Using Outlook 4
R Outlook 2013 email folder sync problems using OneDrive Using Outlook 3
SirFishAlot Send atachment with mass email using BCM, and Publisher 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
Y (Shared Folder) Using the preview pane to open and close a fax, without opening the email itself Using Outlook 1
J Macro generating email using default signature and hyperlink Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
O Copy email content and paste into new Word Document using a different font Using Outlook 1
T Sending One Email to Trigger Another Being Sent Using an Email within the 1st? Using Outlook 0
C Defer email delivery - but when force sent using F9 Using Outlook 1
J Want to 'modernise'(?) my email setup using Outlook. Any advice? Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 2003 I need to move email to folder based on subject, using wild card Using Outlook 0
J ever since I started using Outlook, I cannot get an email from an app I use Using Outlook 2
P Trying to add subject and name to an email using VB Code Using Outlook 3
R Using Word/OL 2010 to generate personalized email messages Using Outlook 1
T syncing email using Outlook Connector Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 16
S O2010: Search for email using folderpath Using Outlook 2
C Deleted email message using Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
B Forwar email not using default account Using Outlook 1
M Unable to send email to gmail - using Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
J Problem using drag and drop to attach an html email in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 18
G Posting of Email Messages Using a Distribution List BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Outlook-can I set up second email account using my BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Sending Email from Access 2007 through Outlook 2007 using template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
G Using VBA to load the CC line on an Outlook email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J send email using template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
O Using name from address book in lieu of actual email address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Extracting CC Email Address Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2