• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Google says Outlook 2016 is not a secure app

Horsepower

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Got an email yesterday that said "Resolve 1 security issue" and I thought it was phishing, so I went directly to Gmail through Edge. It was suggested to "turn off" not secure apps, but that stopped Outlook from checking my Gmail account. Is this another browser/app/OS war ploy, or is there something I can do in Outlook?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It's a long standing issue... and there have been a rash of people affected recently. I figured out why when a client paid me to fix it. He received an email saying someone at an ip he didn't recognize tried to log in and offered to make it more secure. He went through the steps and said yes to less secure apps. If you enable less secure apps, you need to use 2-factor authentication and an app password in Outlook.

To either turn if off or enable 3-factor, or to get an app password, go to Sign in - Google Accounts - the less secure app option is at the end of the page if 2-factor is not being used.

BTW, the IP was his - he was using a phone's hotspot - the city it was reported to come from was not his (common with cell phone hotspots) so he didn't think it was himself even though the times matched.

Horsepower

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Can two factor be used in Office 365 home? That's really my only app affected. Sorry, I wasn't notified of your response or I would have replied sooner.

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, at this time Outlook won't ask for the second factor with gmail or other accounts, only Office 365 business accounts support it. You'll need to use the app password with other account types.

Gmail's 2-factor / app password is good - Outlook and other apps don't lose authentication. Outlook.com isn't as good - i had to disable it because it was so annoying - i had to get a new app password about every 2 weeks.